Chapter 28

Noah's POV

"Oh, come on Penelope don't tell me you're mad?" I jokingly say as I follow her up the stairs. "It was a joke. You know I wouldn't do that."

"Of course." She said sarcastically as she walked through the small hallway and entered her room without looking at me once.

"I was only playing along. Come on, I'm sorry ok? Look if it makes you feel better you can call me puppy." I say with a small smile while walking into her room behind her. I sat on her bed while she looked through her closet for clothes. She continued to ignore me and I leaned back until my whole body fell on the messy bed that seemed to be occupied only minutes before. She didn't answer and we stayed in silence for a bit. "Hey, are you actually mad?" I say turning my head from looking straight up at the ceiling to the side to see her.

She turned around from her closet with what I was expecting to be a serious expression, but it turned out to be a small smirk. "You're not the only one that can play along. Don't take me to seriously, puppy." She says emphasizing the last word with a smile of her own. "Don't make my room into a mess while I'm gone." With that she walks to the bathroom connected to her room and locks the door behind herself.

I give a low chuckle and close my eyes while hearing the shower start and the water begins to fall on the ground below. It didn't sound like how the rain sounds but it was close enough to comfort. She starts to hum a tune under her breath faint enough that almost no one would be able to hear it. I however stay there and listen to it unbothered because of how calming it was. After some time, I could feel myself fall into a sleep until I hear the shower turning off. I quickly get up and walk around her room trying to wake myself up a bit.

Her room was pretty simple. White walls, closet, bathroom, bed, desk, nightstand. Nothing gave away much of her personality aside from her motorcycle helmet on her desk. A stack of books beside that and a lamp that illuminated the top book that had big bold letters saying History. I continue looking around and a single picture laid on her nightstand. This picture felt different than all the others she had on her living room. Nearing the nightstand I grab it and examine the picture. A woman and a man smiling. The woman happened to have a small child by the hand and the dad had a younger Penelope engulfed in a hug from behind. The younger Penelope had a smile so bright that you could never imagine her sad. I had never seen her that happy before. I stayed looking at that picture for more than I expected because i could hear the bathroom door open but i couldn't take my eyes away from it. She seemed really happy.

She cleared her throat and I finally looked away. Her expression wasn't a playful one like how she last had it. It was serious. She walked towards me took the picture from in between my fingers, pulled the drawer from the nightstand and placed the picture there before firmly closing it. She walked to her bed and sat on it without a word. Her hair was dripping with water and it didn't seem to bother her as she kept looking straight head. Her fingers slightly fidgeting.

I walked quietly to her side and sat next to her. "Hey, I didn't mean to snoop around, it just caught my attention." I say while giving her side glances waiting for her to say something. "You seemed so...happy. If you ever want to talk-"

"I'm fine, Noah." Silence filled the room. "It's really early and I don't have to pick Jane up until later. Would you like to go get breakfast?" I turned to look at her and her eyes seemed to be stuck on a certain spot on the ground now.

"Yea, I would." We shuffled to get up off her bed and we finally made eye contact. She gave me a small smile that didn't seem to brighten her face like in the picture. Now that I thought about it, even the brightest smile I saw from her wasn't as remotely close as the one in the picture. "Hey, look Im really-"