Chapter Four: Escape

Mono dove into the hole just as a few gunshots went off next to it. He peered out quickly, expecting to see Six close enough to slip in on time.

But something had changed.

And it was terrifying.

Mono's heart began beating loudly in his chest as he watched Six trip. This was new. This has never happened before. He had to save her!

So he scrambled out of the hole without thinking it through any longer. He grabbed her arms and forced her up to her feet quickly, before looking up. The Hunters gun was aimed right at them. Feeling his stomach twist with fear, he shoved Six into the hole first, before running to follow.

Before he made it to the hole, a gunshot went off.

A sharp, hot pain spread through his leg, and he cried out as he fell in. His ears were ringing, and all he could think about was the pain. He felt Six grab him by the arms and drag him deeper into the tunnel, before stopping. He curled up, and bit his tongue to stop himself from making any more noises as he covered his face.

Did he shoot me? Am I dying? Did I already fail? Was all he could think as he lay there, shivering. His leg hurt so much, and for the first time in forever, he felt terrified beyond words. He heard ripping fabric beside him.

"Try not to scream," He heard Six mutter. He braced himself, before he felt a sharp pain. He flinched, but it only made the pain worse. He forced himself to open his tear-filled eyes and look.

He couldnt see what exactly was wrong with his leg, mainly because it was covered in blood, and because Six was wrapping cloth around it. It took him a moment to realize where she had gotten it from, but then he saw that one of her sleeves were missing.

He watched her tie the cloth, before she met his gaze. He felt warm tears rolling down his face, and his body was shaking.

"Hey- you're gonna be okay," Six mumbled, moving away from his leg and sitting a bit closer to him. "That was really stupid, though. You could've died! And just to save me? So stupid.." She sighed, "..Thank you anyways."

Mono managed a small smile despite the pain, "Y-you're welcome. I just figured we'll need to look out for eachother now that we're working together."

Six returned the smile hesitantly, even if she couldnt see the smile through Mono's paper bag.

"Get some rest. It's probably best we stay in here for a while," Six sighed, leaning up against the wall of the tunnel. Mono wasnt sure that he could get rest with his leg feeling like it was on fire, but he shut his eyes anyways.

But what could this mean? Something like this has never happened before. He felt another flicker of hope from deep within him. Maybe he really was going to break free of the loop. If this wasnt proof of that, he wasn't sure what was.

Brushing the thought away, he managed to speak again. "Does this mean we're friends now? I did save your life, after all," He chuckled. When he didn't get a response, he opened his eyes. Six had fallen fast asleep already. Mono watched her for a moment, before shutting his eyes again.

Mono woke up as soon as he felt someone shaking him. He sat up, and winced. While his leg didnt hurt as much anymore, he still felt the dull, burning pain. He glanced at Six, who was crouched next to him.

"Do you think you'll be able to run? Or climb? Or do anything?" She whispered.

Mono shrugged, "I can try to, but my leg still hurts."

Six sighed, before reaching her hand out. Mono took it gently, and stood to the best of his ability. Allowing Six to lead him through the tunnel, he tried to keep his leg off of the ground, afraid that it would hurt again if he didnt limp. When they emerged, Six released his hand.