Chapter Three: The Hunter

Mono followed Six eagerly, and climbed up the ladder. When he climbed up all the way into the attic, he glanced around. Everything was where it usually was. His surroundings never seemed to change when he came back each time. An annoyed sigh from Six drew him out of his thoughts, and he looked over to see her standing next to a pile of trash that was too tall for her to get over alone.

"When you're done staring at stuff, I can boost you over," She remarked, while tapping her foot against the ground.

"Oh- I'm coming," Mono replied hurriedly, feeling semi-embarrassed. He really needed to stop getting lost in his own thoughts. He walked over to Six, and allowed her to boost him up. He grabbed onto the top of the trash, and pulled himself up, before hopping down onto the other side. He knew exactly where he was going from here.

Heading to the left, he finally came across the eerie-looking stuffed woman. He approached it, before grabbing the lever in her hand. With a sigh, he gave it a tug. Not only did he pull off the lever, but as usual, the arm came off. He was quick to duck away from it. "Jesus Christ, I hate that thing," He muttered underneath his breath, before heading back.

He carefully threw the lever over the trash, before climbing up and over onto the other side.

"Took you long enough! I was beginning to think you ran off, or something. You look like the type to do that," Six exclaimed as she picked up the lever. She had an amused tone, and after speaking, he heard her chuckle quietly.

"I wouldnt run off! I'm not a coward, and I'm not a bad friend either," Mono replied, without giving what he had said much thought. He heard Six pause for a moment before putting the lever into the opening.

"I'm not your friend. I'm just an acquaintance who's tolerating your presence. For now," Six muttered, though it was definitely loud enough for Mono to hear. He frowned faintly, before grabbing onto the bag nearby.

"Pull me up so I can grab the key!" He called over to Six, completely dismissing what she had said before. Six said nothing, and began turning the lever. Mono watched as the key hanging from the ceiling came closer and closer.

"That's as far as I can pull you up!" Six yelled up to him. Mono readied himself, before jumping, and grabbing onto the key. Both he and the key fell, but he was quick to stand up despite the dull ache in his back. He picked up the shiny gold-colored key.

"Alright, let's go," Mono managed, before heading back to the ladder. Carefully descending back down to the lower floor, he hopped down and headed over to the locked door just to the right. He pushed the key in, and turned it. As expected, the lock fell with a satisfying clank.

He turned to see Six hop down from the ladder. He motioned her over, before pushing open the door, and heading out into the fresh air. Just ahead of him was the gloomy barn.

"I think he's in there," He heard Six mumble from behind him.

"The hunter? Yeah, he probably is," He responded, his gaze focused on the barn, "We just need to be quick and quiet."

He then proceeded forward into the barn. That's when he heard the disgusting sound of ripping skin. Shivering, he glanced back at Six, and motioned her over. She was hesitantly standing in the entrance, staring at the window above them.

Six shook her head, and walked over to Mono. Mono turned towards the huge box that was centered in the room, before pushing on it.

"Urgh- Come help me with this, please," He huffed. As usual, the box was too heavy for just him to push it. Six approached, and began pushing on it as well. Together, they pushed it until it was up against the wall, just below the window. He climbed up onto the box, and as quietly as he could, hopped down through the window. Six came hopping down right after him.

Six let out a quiet gasp, and pointed to the Hunter, who was alarmingly close and at a table, skinning an animal. Mono nodded, and crouched down carefully.

"Quietly and slowly," He whispered, and Six nodded in response. He slowly began walking along the wall farthest from the Hunter, remaining crouched. Six followed extremely close to him. It felt like walking across the barn was going to take forever. Sometimes Mono found himself holding his breath.

They finally reached the end of the barn, and approached a small door. He knew this was going to alert the Hunter, and he was not looking forward to it. He motioned Six over. Together, they pushed on the door. It opened with a loud creak, and the Hunter whirled around with a grunt.

Mono grabbed Six's hand out of habit, and pulled her through quickly. Both of them tumbled down as soon as they made it outside, but they were both quick to scramble up to their feet.

"This way!" Mono yelled as the barn door swung open. He began running with Six following right behind him. He heard a gunshot, and out of the corner of his eye, saw the fence collapsing. He ran to the nearest box with Six, and both stood behind it. The box was quick to collapse as soon as another gunshot was fired. Mono turned and ran again, silently begging that Six was following close.

She always was, but he felt like that could change. He was planning on changing things this time, after all. He scrambled behind the next box, and Six almost ran right into him. As soon as this one broke, they were running again, right to the next. Mono felt his lungs screaming for air, and his legs ached from running.

Another gunshot fired and broke the box. He and Six then ran on, and jumped down to hide in a small hole just beneath a rock. Breathing heavily, he felt Six's shoulder brush against his. He glanced at her, and put his finger up to where his lips were beneath the paper bag. She nodded, and shifted a bit closer to him. She looked terrified, and Mono couldnt help but feel it was his fault.

But that was how he always ended up feeling. Trying to make his breathing quieter, he waited. He heard the Hunters boots thumping against the ground as he moved on. He watched Six move forward, and glance out to see if the coast was clear. She then turned, and held her hand out to him.

Mono found that incredibly adorable. He knew now was not the best time to get all blushy about her wanting to hold his hand, but he couldnt help it. Shaking his head faintly to himself, he reached forward, and gently took her hand in his. Standing up, he lead her forward. Of course, the Hunter was still incredibly close nearby, searching the tall grass.

Still holding on to Six's hand, Mono crouched down in the tall grass quietly. He nodded to Six, before slowly walking forward. He stared at the bird up ahead as he crept on, and, as expected, once he neared it, it let out a cry and flew up. The Hunter turned briskly, and looked around, shining his lantern over the tall grass. He could feel Six's hand quivering in his as they waited.

The Hunter then turned away, and continued forward. Giving Six's hand a small, reassuring squeeze, Mono followed him, making sure to remain quiet. And then he saw the hole up ahead. Carefully moving forward as the Hunter swung his lantern about and searched, he paused when the light shone near him and Six. The hole was so close. Now it was just a matter of making a run for it. As soon as the Hunter looked away, he released Six's hand and nodded to her.

He then broke into a run towards the hole.
_________________________________________

Sorry to leave you guys off on a cliff hanger! Some of you will probably be able to predict what happens next, but let's just say it's what most of you wont be expecting. Thanks for reading!