Chapter 20

"You know I wasn't really discharged, right?"

             "What?" I asked quizzically, resting my head on Dally's shoulder. We were both curled up in his bed, his arm around my waist, securing me by his side. My bent knees were laying on top of his thigh, and I held him tightly.

            "Let's just say I convinced my nurse to let me go," he smirked, and then gently took my wrapped hand in his. "Is this from the church fire?"

            "Yeah," I nodded, wincing. I then gazed out the lone window, attempting to figure out the time. "The sun is almost down."

            "The rumble is set for seven. Will you be there?"

            I shook my head disappointedly. "Darry doesn't want me comin'."

            "Good," he replied, surprising me. "You shouldn't have to see that."

            "And why the hell not?" I protested.

            "You're too good for that."

            Those words sounded all too familiar. "You're too good..." He had said something like that to me before. He had said that I was too good for him.

            Before Dallas could leave the bed and get dressed, I grabbed his arm and pulled him close to me with all my might.

             "Dallas," I began to say, unable to finish. I wanted to tell him exactly how I felt, but I didn't know how...

             "You don't have to say anything," he said, smiling down at me.

            My mind felt as though it was spinning- there were so many thoughts in my head that I couldn't keep straight. Of course, they all had to do with Dallas.

            I then decided to confront one thing that I had always been curious about, something that he guarded and became so defensive about. "What was your childhood like?"

           He could only state at me, dumbfounded. Eventually, he blinked, and when I expected him to brush it off, he did quite the opposite. "I was thrown in the cooler for the first time when I was ten. My old man didn't give two shits... he never did and never will. Growing up on the streets of New York and eventually jail made me tough... but I still don't think that should ever happen to nobody..."

            Two kids who lived on the streets- that's all we truly were. Tears filled my eyes as he told his story, and I knew I couldn't contain myself any longer.

            "Thank you," I cried, tears streaming down my face.

            He gave me a confused look. "For what?"

             "For everything. For being so brave... for being the love of my life..."

            I had left him speechless. I didn't blame him; I would probably react the same way. We didn't know how to love, yet somehow, we did it anyway.

            Almost out of impulse, he drew me back in his arms, and if I remember correctly, I think he may have cried.

            "Don't go to the rumble," I murmured into his ear, still grasping onto him. "Stay."

            Releasing me, he took my face in his hands and looked me dead in the eyes. "I have to go, Sass. I have to do this... for Johnny."

            Even though I didn't agree with his choice, I understood it. I knew he needed closure... maybe I did too.

            "There's something I have to do," I thought aloud, immediately standing up and throwing on my old clothes.

           "Where are ya goin'?"

           "I have to go see Danny... my brother."

            "You sure you wanna do that?" he asked, joining me.

            "Yeah, I am."

            "Okay, angel. If that's what you want," he replied, bringing me in his arms one last time.

            "Can you say my name?"

            "What?" he asked, just as surprised as I was with myself. "Sass?"

            "No. My real name..."

            "Lisa."

            Tears welled up in my eyes once more, and I softly whispered, "Be safe."

            He kissed my lips longingly before we parted, and before I knew it, I was on my way to the DX, hoping it was still open.

            I began to pick up my speed, running down the sidewalk, not caring who saw me or if any socs drove by.

            Crossing the street to over to the gas station, I barged inside the building and took a deep breath. I could do this.

            Rolling my shoulders back, I marched up to the front counter of the store and looked my estranged brother straight in his blue-green eyes.

           "Hello, Danny."

            His eyes widened and he immediately turned pale, gripping onto the counter for balance. "Lisa?"

            "Yeah," I said, offering a smile, something I never thought I would do.

            Not knowing what else to say, I turned on my heel to leave, until he called out to me. "Will I see you around?"

            I slowly nodded my head, yet another smile creeping on my face. "Yeah. You will."

           As I left the DX, I felt an entire weight lift from my shoulders.

             I can move on. I'm free.

            I sprinted down the street, my heart full of glee. I didn't look back.