Epilogue

It has been about five years now since the day we held Johnny and Dally's funeral service. Life was really hard for a little while, but I managed to find a solid medium in time.

            I somehow pulled myself together and graduated high school a year after the incident, and received a full ride scholarship to a small college nearby for my bravery during the church fire. I decided I wanted to dedicate the rest of my life to helping children who have lost their families or live in abusive households, and am currently studying social work and justice.

            It took years to finally agree, but I went on a couple of dates with Steve, and now, we are living together in a small place close to the school I attend. He has been helping me heal, and not only physically.

            I still frequently visit my brothers and stay over sometimes. Darry recently received a promotion at work and is happier than ever, and Ponyboy is studying English in college; I strongly believe that he'll become a famous writer one day. Both Soda and Steve want to serve our country and fight in Vietnam, yet I pray that they won't be drafted. Like Johnny said, what's the use in fighting?

            Two-Bit honestly hasn't changed to much, and whenever I spend time with him, I feel like a teenager again. Not only do I visit him and my brothers when in town, but I've also been spending time with Danny. He has been working super hard to rekindle our relationship, and although I would have never believed that I would give him a second chance, I am hopeful that we will become prevalent parts in each others' lives.

            Jo eventually came back from Texas, and of course, she is still attracted to girls. Luckily, she moved out of her parents' house and splits her time living at my place or Buck's. Although I don't ever really go to Buck's anymore, I know that she formed a close friendship with him and has been living the high life.

          As for me, I somehow found happiness. I finally cut my long hair and grew up quite a bit from when I was sixteen. I will be twenty-two years old soon and graduating college. Steve sometimes likes to talk about marriage, but I'm not sure I'm quite ready or ever will be for that step. Right now, I just want to live in the moment.

            I still think about Johnny and Dally, but especially the latter. I have gotten to the point where instead of becoming overwhelmed by grief, I am able to smile when I remember our times together. I still truly believe that he is the best thing that has ever happened to me... without him, I would still be that lost kid with no sense of self.

            I have learned to not only keep living for Dally, but also for myself. Things are okay, and that's how I like them.

            "Lisa," I hear Steve's voice call from outside. "You gotta come see this!"

            I peer out of our bedroom window and look down to see him triumphantly standing next to the old beat up car he taught me to drive.

            "I fixed it!" he exclaims. "It's running again!"

            I offer him a proud smile and then reflect on his words.

            It's running again.

            Life is running again.