Chapter 21

Regina's eyes widened in pure, unadulterated terror as she realised what she had done. "NO!" She screamed, running to the cliff's edge, scanning the faraway canyon's floor for her daughter. "No." She repeated, her voice shaky. The queen burst into tears. "No. It wasn't supposed to end this way. It can't end this way.....I love you." Regina had never felt more alone than she did in this very moment. The most important thing in the world, next to Henry, was gone.

Suddenly, she heard a creaking noise. Almost like the sound of a bridge rebuilding itself. She wiped away her tears, before taking a deep breath in. It was Nila. Somehow, she'd managed to break her fall and float back up to the cliff side. Regina placed a hand on her chest, before shedding a few tears of joy.
"Didn't think I was getting away that easily, did you?" The girl leapt into her mother's arms, before laughing. "I can't believe I just did that! I really thought I was going to die."

"Yes, you did." Regina replied, "When all I wanted was for you to re-tie the ropes." She had to hand it to her, the girl always found a way to take things to the extreme. "It's like you said - instinct." Nila turned to admire her work before noticing an annoyed look on the queen's face. "Why are you upset? I did it, right? I saved myself? Isn't that what you wanted?" She thought her mother would be pleased. Even she could tell it was some powerful magic that she just handled.

"You think I'm mad because you didn't listen to me?" Regina raised an eyebrow before gently placing a hand on the girl's shoulder. "I'm mad because, look at all this potential inside of you and you've been wasting it."

"Not exactly. I didn't even know I had magic until a few months ago. And I've been practising." Nila smiled. "You taught me well, it seems."
Regina frowned. "Yes, I know I've taught you well. I know I taught you well because you somehow managed to steal the book of records from my room." The girl's eyes widened in fear. She knew?
The queen noticed her puzzled expression and sighed. "You went and told Snow White your secret, out of everybody!" Ahh, that made sense. All this drama seemed to start the same way.

Except it kind of didn't. Why would Snow tell her mother that she had stolen the book? Unless she'd told her the other thing too...

"My only question is how you broke the blood lock." Regina paced around the available space on the cliffside. "That takes some serious magic, stronger magic than I've ever seen. I didn't realise you were that powerful." Nila stood, frozen to the spot. Wait, the queen believed she had forcefully broken the blood lock? There was no way she was powerful enough to do that! "Hm!" Her mother smiled, proudly. "Perhaps you do stand a chance against my sister, after all..."

And just as quickly as the first time, Nila was whisked back to the castle. But instead of returning to the vault, she found herself in her mother's bed chamber. "We'll continue our training in the morning."

* Author's Note - Okay, so I lied. It wasn't the end. Get over it 😂 I hope your broken hearts are healed now. And as always I hoped you enjoyed it! Your kind comments and votes are always appreciated. Sending lots of love ❤️ Sarah xxx