19~Downfall~

Kageyama locked the doors to the gym, and walked home alone under the stars. His school bag hung on one shoulder, the volleyball one wrapped around his arm. He had his hands in his pockets, and listened to music through earbuds. The light from the stars reflected in his deep blue eyes as he looked up at them. 

Kageyama POV

When he got home, the sun was just setting, and saw Natsu playing in the front yard. He looked over to the front window where the sink looked out, and saw her mother watching her closely as she washed the dishes.

Kageyama bent down to her level to see what she was doing. She played with a spare volleyball of Hinata's, tossing it up and down. 

When she spotted the setter, the small girl jumped up excitedly.

"Tobio!" She ran over to the boy and hugged him. Kageyama hugged her back, his long arms wrapped around her tiny body. "Can you play with me?" she asked and held out the volleyball after letting go.

The setter smiled and nodded. He threw his bags by the door, and taught Natsu how to do good receives. He was a master at this by now, because of the months of teaching Hinata, except this time he was nice about it.

"Bend your knees, lean forward a little, and hold your hands out like this," the dark-haired boy held position and looked over to the girl for confirmation. When she nodded, he continued. "And when you hit the ball, straighten your legs a little. That'll use the momentum from your body to propel the ball further."

"Okay!" Natsu held position and waited for the setter to pass to her. Kageyama lightly tossed the ball to the small girl, and she received it perfectly.

"I guess you don't take after your brother too much," Kageyama softly laughed. "He sucks at these."

Natsu giggled and they continued to practice outside until the sun set. Eventually, Hinata's mom came to get them for dinner.

"Natsu, you wanna play volleyball like Shoyo?" Hinata's mother asked the small girl. She was scooping Kageyama's favorite onto freshly cooked rice, pork curry.

"No," she answered, and received confused looks from the other two. "I wanna play like Tobio!" She ran over to the surprised setter and hugged his leg. Kageyama patted her head and shrugged at the older woman.

"Why me? Why not your own brother?" Kageyama asked and looked down at the girl.

"Natsu looked up, and stared at the boy in confusion. "Well, you said Shoyo sucks at receives... I don't want to suck." 

Hinata's mom set down the plate and started laughing, receiving a giggle from the setter.

~~

Kageyama lay in his boyfriend's bed, scrolling through his social media. He got bored of it, and laid the phone down on the nightstand, staring at the ceiling in boredom.

Just as it hit the table, he got a text from the last person he wanted to hear from.

Asshole- I know you're handing out with that little f*g. It's only a matter of time you little mistake. Eventually he'll leave you too. Everybody always leaves you, you're intolerable.

Asshole- Enjoy it while it lasts.

Tobio set the phone back down, more aggressively this time.

It was 11, and everyone else in the house was asleep. It started to pour outside, and the setter got up to go watch the rainfall. The soft yellow glow of the street lights mixed with the dark navy blue color of the sky, and blended with the rain like a bleeding watercolor painting. It reflected in the setter's navy eyes as he stared at it. 

Before he knew it, the raven-haired boy's cheeks were wet, dripping tears onto the windowsill.

Why the hell am I crying...

Kageyama wiped the tears away in frustration. Without thinking, he ran out of the room, and down the stairs. Quickly but quietly, he exited the house and sprinted down the streets.

He ran like he was racing Hinata to school, just to prove a petty point. He ran like he was chasing after the boy, who was about to beat him to the gym door. 

Without meaning to, he ended up at his own apartment building. He stared at the modern building, lined with windows. He pictured the overly-luxurious interior. The rugs of various patterns, king-size beds with silk sheets. A luxury kitchen fit with two ovens, electric stove, every appliance you could ever need, double sink, and a large island. The bathrooms were fit with jacuzzies, steam rooms, and large rock showers.

To any other person, this would seem like heaven on earth, or an unreachable fantasy. But to Tobio, this was his hell on earth. It was a constant reminder that his father held power over him, and that he couldn't escape the man.

The setter fell to his knees, in the middle of the street. He punched the ground in anger, with no regard for the consequences. His hand started to bleed, creating a pool of red on the concrete, that bled with the downfall of water, that he seemed to drown in. The boy gritted his teeth, and stared down at the ground in defeat. The water that soaked his hair dripped down his face, mixing with his own tears, making it impossible to tell the difference.

His eyes filled with liquid. He couldn't tell whether it was tears or rain, but he didn't really care. His vision blurred, and noticed a blinding light coming from his left side. As soon as he turned his head,

Everything went dark.