Promise

Bosam's Point of View

"Ms. Do, we're afraid a C-section is no longer an option. You've gone into early labor, we have no choice but to deliver the baby now."

"N-Now? But.." So many excuses flooded my brain in that moment:
But I was supposed to have a C-section!
But I don't know if I can do a natural birth!
But he's weeks early! I wasn't expecting him yet...
But I'm not ready!

Despite all of those excuses, the one that left my mouth was by far the stupidest. "But the father isn't here yet..." I mumbled, before wincing as another contraction hit me, making me clutch the covers of my hospital bed.

And it really was a stupid thing to say, since I knew he wasn't coming, even if I had called him from the hospital in hopes to reach him, and ask him to be by my side for one last time. It went straight to voice mail, and I left him one, saying that despite everything... I still needed him. I told him what hospital I was in, and then the voice message ended because I got a contraction and accidentally hung up.

We had agreed not to contact each other anymore- actually, I was made to sign a contract where I agreed not to contact him anymore, which I was technically breaching by calling him, even if it wasn't from my phone, but at the time I was just desperate. I was young, afraid, and alone, and I needed the love of my life by my side as my son was about to be born, and even though there was no way he would come, I couldn't help but be hopeful.

"I'm here!" A familiar male voice shouted as he ran into my hospital room. Stupidly, my eyes filled with helpless hope as I looked to the door... only to see Jaehyun standing on the other side.

He bolted to my side, his face filled with concern, and he held my hand in both of his. "I'm here! I got here as fast as I could. What's going on?" He asked, looking down at me. His face was covered in a thin layer of sweat, and he was panting, pupils shaking as he looked down at me with worry.

"She's going into labor, we're moving her to the LDR. Are you the father?" My nurse asked, as they moved me into a different bed to transport me to the Labor, Delivery, and Recovery room.

Jaehyun didn't even hesitate to say a curt "yes," to which the nurse nodded. "Then you can come," she said, before they moved me into the LDR.

Jaehyun stayed by my side, holding my hand as I screamed and cried, pushing my son out of me. At one point I thought I was gonna pass out, but he called my name and grabbed my face, giving me tiny, gentle slaps, just enough times to keep me conscious.

Giving birth was one of the hardest things I've ever had to do, but also the most gratifying. As soon as I heard his little cry... it was as if all the wounds and pain that had brought me to this point didn't matter anymore. He was here, and he was all that mattered to me from that point forward.

My son... Rowoon was what I needed to learn to love again. I held him in my arms for the first time, and for the first time after his father left me, I felt complete. When he opened those big, round eyes of his, I realized for the first time how much he looked like his father, but that didn't make me love him any less.

"He looks like a little alien," Jaehyun said, making me roll my eyes. "Shut up. He's beautiful," I said, my voice uncharacteristically soft as I stared down at my sleeping son, who lay peacefully in my arms. I finally tore my attention away from my newborn son, and looked over at Jae, a warm, loving expression on my features.

"Thank you for being here, Jae... I don't know if I would've been able to do this without you," I said. He shook his head with a smile. "Don't mention it, Bosam-ah. Don't worry okay? As long as I'm around... you and this little alien will never be alone." He promised me, making my eyes sting with tears.