Doubt

Moments later
Bosam's Point of View

I was scared. I'll be the first to admit it, I was shitting my pants as everyone else left the meeting room after the first meeting was over– except, of course, for Jaehyun, the CEO, and myself.

The concerned expressions on the guys' faces as they walked out didn't help either.

I helplessly glanced at Jaehyun. He looked back at me with a serious, determined expression and gave me a small, confident smile accompanied by a curt nod.

That did help. It made a wave of relief wash over my anxious heart. That was his characteristic "leave it to me" smile. It was the same smile he gave me years ago when Rowoon was born as he held my hand back at the hospital.  The same smile he gave me when he'd visit me at my mom's place to check on us, after promising he'd find work for me.

Jaehyun was so dependable. He hadn't failed me once. If he was confident... I'd just have to trust him.

I'll be honest, I sort of blanked out and let Jae do most of the talking. I couldn't tell you how he did it, but he saved my ass again. It's not that I wasn't paying attention, it's that I started to feel like an outsider in my own body at one point. Like I could see myself and my surroundings from far away, and I was struggling to listen to what was being said, trying very hard to stay in the moment and not be overwhelmed by the surreal experience.

Something similar had only happened twice before. First, when we found out about my father's death on the news. Second, the meeting where my relationship with Rowoon's father was exposed and I was fired. But I could remember those two instances perfectly, almost like they were burned into my brain. This time, it all felt like a big blur.

I felt more aware of what was going on, like I was back in control of my consciousness, only once we were outside the meeting room.

"Bosam, are you okay?" Jaehyun asked as I was looking around a bit disoriented. We were in the hall where all the meeting rooms were. Alone.

"Huh?" I asked. His face softened empathically. "Jeez, you're really out of it... Sammie, it's okay. Rowoon will be able to come with us, it's all gonna be alright. We'll figure it out together. We always do." He reassured me, with that confident, determined smile of his that always helped me feel safe.

Maybe it was the fact that things had been so hectic lately, maybe it was the lack of sleep, I don't know exactly what it was, but hearing that from the one man in my life who had never failed me made me tear up. I rushed into him, wrapped my arms around his waist and hugged him tightly, muttering a small "thank you so much, Jae."

"Aw... Don't mention it Sammie. Anything for you." He said, hugging me back. I stayed in his arms for a few moments, needing to feel comforted, but then Jiho's words echoed in my head.

"I mean, the guy always had the fattest crush on you..."

I pulled away at that, my face suddenly somber as I looked up at him. I had to ask him. I had to make sure that wasn't the case.

I looked around and peeked into one of the meeting rooms. Luckily, it was empty. I grabbed Jaehyun's wrist and pulled him inside.

"Whoa, what's going on?" Jaehyun said as I closed the door behind us and looked at him.

"Jae, we need to talk." I said, making him chuckle awkwardly. "Uhm.. okay? What about?"

I took a deep breath, wondering how to ask or what to say. We were staring at each other, tension growing the longer neither of us said anything.

"Jiho said youhaveacrushonme" I rushed out after a few excruciating moments of awkward silence and staring.

Jaehyun seemed taken aback. "Oh? Is that what he said?" He said, seemingly calm. His face only looked a little surprised, but nothing more. Gosh, why was he being so hard to read?