FAMILY

D O M I N I C  P O V

To hear Stevie tell me she loves me made my heart beat fast and my body to heat with passion. Couldn't wait for her to be home, so I can hold her tight and view her beautiful face.

Want her to say it again as she looks deep into my eyes, so I can glimpse the love gushing with her words. 

Sit on the sofa when my mobile rings, bringing me out of my thoughts of Stevie. "Yes," I said, not recognising the number. "Mr Davenport, I need you to come straight to the airport, we have a situation," The guy said. Confused to his request, "Could you please tell me what it's about?" I asked, "It would be better if you come, so we can talk. I really don't want to discuss it over the phone. Your father is on his way," He replies. "Okay, I'm on my way," End the call, finish the drink I had, and leave.

Baffled is not the right word, but I can't understand why they have summoned my father and me, or unless Stevie caused a mishap again?

Reaching the airport, I could see the paparazzi behind barriers and police stopping them. 

Confused as to why they are being held back by the police, but as soon as I step out of the car, they shout, wanting me to answer questions. 

Not even sure what they are asking until I'm ushered by police into the building where I see my father and my brother Tyrone.

Glanced around me shaking my head, still not sure what the fuck is going on, "Dad, what the hell is going on?" I asked, he shakes his head. Glanced at Tyrone to see if he knew, "Don't look at me, I'm in the dark like you," He said. Sighed loud.

A guy steps towards us, "If you would please follow me, so we can speak in private," The guy said, and we follow wanting answers.

Stood in a room with a few other guys sitting at an oval table with maps and other paperwork laid in front of them. 

My father glanced around the room and got angry, "Now could someone tell us why the fuck we are here?" My father's voice was filled with rage, and they all stop and stare at him. "Mr Davenport, I'm Hugh and I have to inform you, as of nineteen-forty-five this evening, the jet your wife was on lost communication after they sent a Mayday call," The guy said. I slid down the wall with a sinking feeling in my gut.

Did he just say what I don't want to hear? My entire body consumed with fear.

My brother sits on a chair and my poor father loses it, shouting at the guys around the table, "You lost the goddamn jet. How the fuck can you lose a jet with the size of it? I want my wife found and my son's fiancee." My father runs his fingers through his hair and takes a seat.

He hides his face in his hands, and his body trembled from him silently sobbing. 

Couldn't get a word out or even ask where they are searching too. "So you are telling us our mother and my brother's fiance are missing and you have no clue where the jet went down to?" Tyrone asked them with a raised tone.

They all stare at him nodding, "We have the entire rescue team out and the coastguard as well as the aviation rescue team," Hugh said. Shake my head, wipe my tears from my eyes.

Stand to sit with my brother, who places his hand on my shoulder, "Dominic, mum's got to be all right, and I'm sure Stevie is too. We can't think otherwise," I can identify how afraid Tyrone is, and so was I. "Tyrone, they got to be. I can't lose either of them, not when Stevie told me she loves me," I cried, and we consoled each other as we grieved.

*********

A short while later, we composed ourselves to sit and listen to what they have to say. "The pilot sent out a distress call saying they hit a storm, and a bolt of lightning hit the right-wing and it's on fire. The control tower asked a few questions about where they were, and two minutes later the jet was off the radar and no communication," The guy tells us.