chapter 6

Matts pov

this morning I woke up to hear my alarm beep beep beep..... I quickly turned it off and looked over to Gabby's empty spot on the bed and got up and quickly messaged gabby to ask her if she was coming to work before I went and took a shower and then got dressed and got an apple and then checked my phone and there was a message from gabby she said she will stay at the hospital for today and she said she already let the chef know that she won't be there today and she said she will FaceTime later today so she could talk to me later today... then I grab my bag for shift and got in the car and went to 51. as I was walking up the driveway it was like a normal day everyone was talking or watching TV or doing something else. as I walked in I went got changed for the shift then went to find Brett to let her know gabby count be here today so I went to the common area and saw Brett. "hey, Brett just to let you know that gabby won't be here today. she is still at the hospital." I say to her knowing that this shift I will be getting a lot of questions about last night at the hospital. "it's okay. do you know who is going to be on the ambo with me then?" as I was about to answer to that chef Boden came in me and Brett looked at him. "Brett I just want to let you know that mills are going to ride ambo with your today. they couldn't get anyone down here is time for the shift so mills will be joining you today." the chef said to Brett. then, I went and sat down at the table and I was reading a newspaper and it was about lunchtime it was 11:02 and mills was in the kitchen when mills said "Cassy can you call everyone to ciao/ lunch." I nod and get up go to our PA System and say "ciao time". and all you could have known we all were in the common room including chef and we all sat down at the table and ate together and then I start to get questioned I thought would happen at some point in the day. so Kelly was the first to ask the question he turned to me and said "okay matt I got to ask you what exactly happened last night?" I saw everyone look at me and Kelly like they were hoping someone was going to ask about it. I signed knowing I was going to have to answer "so as you guys were told last night gabby and I have a 13-year-old daughter. and our daughter has a lot of medical problems so last night when she couldn't get ahold of me and gabby she Called Natalie which is Sophie's godmother and while she was on the phone with gabby she passed out and that's what you saw when gabby told me to call the ambulance. no one knew about Sophie besides chef and Natalie and Maggie and Sharon. we did it not knowing what was in store for her because she has cystic fibrosis and she can't be around a lot of people because it risks infection so, the reason we didn't tell you guys wasn't that we didn't want to it was to keep her safe." I told them then I looked down at the food in front of me not knowing what else to say. we all sat in silence a couple of minutes that's when I heard Herrmann say "so.... will we ever get to properly meet her?" I look up with a small smile on my face and everyone had a smile on there face. "as I know of I would love for you guys to meet her it will sooner than later. I know she will love to meet you guys." then Cruz asks "does she even know about what you guys do as a job or about any of us?" "of course she does, what do you think we do go home and not talk about our second family, no we tell her about this firehouse family we have here all the time she knows about everyone here." I tell everyone with a smile and you can see that it was like to tension of the room went away. we keep talking about anything and everything I get up to put my dishes away and my phone rang it was gabby.

gabby pov

by the time I get up and see 11:24 am and I noticed that Sophia was not in bed so I turned my head to see her looking out the window with her headphones in when I look at my messages I had no new ones but I get up and go over to her and tap her shoulder and she pulls out a headphone and I say "hey what about we call your dad he wanted to talk to you to check up on you" I tell her, she nods and we sat by the window and you can tell that she was not moving at all. so I grab my phone and go sit by her again and she comes over to me and puts her head on my shoulder and we face time matt. he answers and said "hey hun" you can tell when he didn't say anything yet he was walking back to his office "hey how has your day been." he asks as I still had sophies head on my shoulder. "nothing going on her. I had just woke up and now I am calling you" I say with a smile on my face. "sounds like a nice day then." he said with some sarcasm. "hey Sophie how's your day been so far?" he asks her "boring, I would like to leave so bad. I'm so-" her talking gets cut off with her coughing which for her have to lean over and I keep talking with matt while she is coughing "so how has your day been?" I ask him "well it was good I got questioned at lunch. which was to be expected from everyone so I told them about her and answered their questions." while he was talking April came into the room and said to Sophie "hey girl, just let you know it PT time and your breathing treatment time" then Sophie said "thanks April" right before she left and then Sophie went to bed to do her stuff while I kept talking to matt "oh, also something I was asked is if they will meet her. I told them that we hope sometime soon would be nice but we don't know yet." me and matt talked for a little while and then we said goodbye to each other and by the time we were done talking Sophie was done with her treatments and was asleep on the bed. you could tell that girl was exhausted.