Chapter 9: Finding the Way

Start from the beginning

"Just challenging, my lady," he replied.

"Well, you'd better sit down while we untangle this knot," Sabrina said. "Whom did I offend by sleeping in?"

"The long list, or the short one?"

"Oh, dear."

____________

Lunch, as it turned out, was only a couple of hours away. In the meantime, Sabrina tried to reschedule or see briefly everyone who had been on her morning's agenda, with limited success. By the time she met Rayland in her dining room, she was feeling harried and exasperated—and guilty as she realized she hadn't thought of Scotty more than once or twice all morning.

"Any word?" she asked as she greeted Rayland.

"No, but I'm hopeful," he replied. "You needed to see me, daughter?"

"Yes. You know I want to open peace talks with Homeworld."

"You have mentioned it from time to time. Do you think it will stave off a retaliatory attack, now that Wayship Khediva's continued existence is known?"

"I don't know. But it's the long term we have to think of, and in the long term, there must be peace. And it must include the Miahn Councils. That means we must have Lady Imari involved, and from the beginning."

"Yes." He rubbed at his chin thoughtfully. "I have given this some thought, and even though your relations with her have improved, I cannot think of any way she would gracefully accept such an idea from you."

"I can't either," Sabrina sighed.

"So I have concluded that I ought to be the one to broach the subject."

Sabrina stared at him in surprise. "Would you? Oh, I'd be so relieved! But no," she sighed, "it's my job. It was my idea, and you shouldn't have to take the rap for it."

He smiled. "If I'm understanding your slang correctly, there is no punishment involved. I will simply present this to Imari as a military imperative. Which it is. We cannot fight another war, particularly with Homeworld. The Guardian is powerful, but she is not inexhaustible without resources to back her up. And we cannot afford to maintain our armed forces at alert for long without diverting funds from the necessary agricultural and reconstruction projects around the planet."

"I know." Sabrina leaned back in her chair. "They're underfunded as it is. We won't be able to carry through unless we actually cut military funding, and that's impossible without peace."

"We will be negotiating from a very weak position."

"Not at all. The Wayfarers are afraid of Mara, and afraid of what she can do in conjunction with a Wayship. After all, she and Khediva dragged a High Wayship out of a Way." Sabrina couldn't keep the triumph from her voice. "As far as I can tell, nothing has ever done that. We may not be able to stand against them in force, but we can certainly drill some very painful holes in their precious ranks of Wayfarers if we choose to do so."

"Are you saying the Tirqwin and Khediva would condone—"

"Oh, no. Neither would I," Sabrina said, "if it could be helped. No, Tirqwin and Khediva won't have anything to do with this. Neither will Mara. This is a matter between two peoples, not individuals. I want Homeworld to see there's more to Praxatillus than the Guardian, that there are lots of ordinary, innocent people here who don't deserve to suffer because of an old family feud."

Rayland chuckled. "What a way to describe millennia of bitter conflict."

"It's all it is, in the end. Nolizar chose Miah over Homeworld, and they've never forgiven him, or his descendants."

"Just don't use that description in front of Imari. Yes, you had better let me talk to her. I'll do it tonight, before Teth nar Olviron arrives."

"Yes, Rassir told me they were old friends."

"Very dear friends. I assume you've left instructions for Ambassador Olviron to come to you immediately on his arrival?"

"No, but I can see I need to."

"Yes."

Sabrina sighed, hugging herself. "This is the hardest thing I've done yet. I'm not trained for this in the least. The other stuff, the domestic stuff, well, there are plenty of Ministers and officials who are experts, and I just have to approve or discuss their ideas. This...this is new. And nobody likes it or thinks I can succeed."

"I think you can succeed," Rayland said. "I don't think it will be easy. And I don't think it will be quick. In fact I think it may take all of my niece's considerable lifetime to achieve a real peace. But I believe that you and the Lthosyennes can make Homeworld understand they've more to gain by leaving us alone to recover than by battering us to pieces."

"If I can just hand off to Mara with everything intact, recovering, then I'll be happy," Sabrina said.

Rayland smiled, patting her hand where it rested on the table between them. "And then what, my daughter?"

"I don't know. I can't think that far ahead. I have to take this in little bits or I'll collapse into a screaming heap." She leaned her head to one side and thought. "I guess Scotty and I—" She broke off, biting her lip. "We should go back to Earth, at least for a while. My Aunt Euphrasia, you see—"

"I understand. I should very much like to meet her."

"I think you'd like her."

"I am sure of it. Now, is there anything else I can advise you on? I really should be getting back on duty."

"Of course. I won't keep you any longer. Have a good afternoon," Sabrina said, smiling.

"And you, my dear."