chapter ten

ten

His cold finger tips trailed up and down my arms, goosebumps rising upon them. I felt as if I was having a dream, usually I'd be questionable towards this kind of behavior coming from Harry. But I found an ease of comfort in his arms, though I shouldn't have. I closed my eyes briefly, starting to believe that Harry and I must've met in the past. But I still couldn't remember, it was starting to bother me.

"When did you stop visiting me?" I asked, my voice muffled as I held his shirt in my hands, my forehead pressed against his chest.

"When I was twelve." He sighed and pulled away, "I apologize, Charlotte. But you don't understand how much it means to me to have you here with me again." I looked down.

"I understand. I think." I raised an eyebrow in confusion. I didn't say that it was okay that he kidnapped me, I knew that it wasn't and I did t want him to think that I don't mind. But now that he'd told me why, I couldn't be as angry with him as before.

He walked towards my bed, sitting on the edge. He stared at the floor for countless minutes, his arms were folded over his chest. I remained in my spot against the desk, tapping my foot against the wooden flooring. There were so many emotions that I was holding back, but I couldn't dare speak of them. There were so many questions I wanted to ask, but I didn't interrogate him. Although, Harry said he knew me in the past- that doesn't change what he's done in the present and I will not let all of his wrongs vanish as if they had never happened. He still had to make up for kidnapping me, for touching me without any given permission, and for lying to me multiple times. I wasn't sure if I could ever forgive him for taking me away from my family in their time of need, but I knew that it'd be a bit easier to forgive him for the other things he's done.

I pretended not to be watching him when he finally looked up, planting his eyes on me immediately. I take my bottom lip between my teeth nervously, afraid that his mood swings hadn't gone away. "Do you accept my apology?" He asked.

I laughed, covering my mouth almost instantly after making the amused sound. He looked at me questionably and sat up straighter. I recovered quickly, "You did all of that thinking... Just to ask if I accepted your apology?"

"Yes, is that bad?" He grinned and I was surprised to see that Harry wasn't the only one amused in this situation.

I smiled, "I accept your apology if it was for lying to me." I say. He'd have to do better than an apology if he was trying to make up for kidnapping me.

"I've never lied to you. If anything, you lied for me." He ran his hand through his hair.

"What?" I was utterly confused.

"I never watched you, I just let you believe that." He cleared his throat and looked up at me. Our eyes met and I could tell that he was telling the truth. I had never realize that his eyes always told the truth, I was too busy trying not to make eye contact with him all the time.

"How'd you know about my birthmark?" I questioned.

"You told me that when we were younger, I asked why you never wore ponytails and that's what you told me." He shrugged.

"I don't understand. Why can you remember all of this, but I can't? All of it isn't making sense, I can't fit everything together." I sighed and moved to sit in the chair besides me.

"Maybe those couple of years meant more to me than they did to you." His voice sounded flat. I gritted my teeth together, gripping a handful of my hair. I knew the action wouldn't help me remember, but I was stressed. My eyes followed the pattern of the wood until it led me to Harry's boots.