Out of Luck (Part 2)

Start from the beginning

"I was just trying to mess with you. You don't get to see a borrower every day, do you?"

She ruffled her short hair for a second before she turned back to Lilly.

"I didn't mean to hurt you in any way, I just overreacted when you bit me."

Lilly's eyes softened. She placed her hand on Sylvia's palm and gently patted it.

"I know, I'm just mocking with you. Even though you scared the hell out of me back there, I understood that you feel guilty and that's what is important for me right now."

Sylvia smirked a little due to her confession.

"Well, thanks. I'll remind it to myself in the first moment that you try to escape again."

Lilly lifted her hand defensively.

"Woah, hold on. You're not going to keep me here, are you?"

Sylvia let out a soft laugh.

"Well, I can say that we have to see each other longer than you might think."

Lilly was surprised and became a little uneasy to hear this. She was planning to go home and finally get back with her family. She hadn't had any courage to make a move for it until today.

Since she had spent almost two months being terrified of the giant, Lilly had thought that the girl would hurt her once she finds her out. When they'd finally managed to talk like normal people, Lilly hadn't thought she needed to run away from Sylvia.

She didn't quite get what she was talking about.

Trying to back away, Lilly sent her a worried look.

"What do you mean by that?"

The serious expression on Sylvia's face began to scare her. Lilly would be doomed if Sylvia decided to keep her here forever. Remembering the stories that her grandfather had told her, Lilly swallowed hard, trying not to think about the giants who had enslaved her family members.

Sylvia frowned. Her every move was like an electric current for Lilly's poor heart.

"You don't know what happened, do you?"

Lilly was watching her in silence. She didn't know what to say or do. She was just waiting there for Sylvia to finish. Her body had never been so tensed before.

Surprisingly, Sylvia had realized the change in Lilly's mood and let the subject slip away.

"Hey, are you okay? You suddenly became pale."

But Lilly's attention was in somewhere else.

"What happened?" She stuttered as her fear kept growing.

"The pandemic," Sylvia said calmly.

"Didn't you heard of it?"

Lilly couldn't understand what was going on. With a shaky hand, she held onto Sylvia's finger to pull herself up.

"I don't understand."