Part 45

Jake glared at us. "Two to one, Romeo." Richy said before Jake could speak. "Fine. You better keep an eye on her, boy scout." Jake said pointing to Richy. "Scout's honor," Richy said saluting him. Jake groaned, "Wait a minute." He walked down the hall to the office room. "Jade, I don't think this is a good idea," Richy said as soon as he saw Jake disappear down into the room. "Richy you are not doing this on your own and that is final," I snapped back. We saw Jake walk back and handed us earpieces. "What's this?" Richy asked. "Comm devices, so we can communicate easily." Jake said. Richy started clapping slowly, "Did James Bond leave these?" Jake glared at him. "James Bond is a British spy." Richy said as a matter of fact. "I know who he is." Jake responded dryly. "Just making a joke," Richy said pouting. "Just stop before it gets more embarrassing. Jake, I don't think we need this." I said. "I'll be out," Richy said walking sadly outside the house. "You had to be rude," I said looking at Jake. "Oh come on. We always do that to each other. You know that. Anyways, if you stay back then there is something, I really want to talk to you about." Jake said. "I don't answer to bribes, Jake. We can talk after I get back. Ok I've gotta go," I said. "Stay out of trouble, "trouble." He said. I rolled my eyes and walked out, "See you Jake."

I sat in Richy's car. As we drive away from the house, Richy was exceptionally quiet. "Richy I need to tell you.." "Don't worry about it. I know you and Romeo made up. After all I told him to check on you yesterday." Richy said. "Oh. Thank you? Why?" I asked. "What do you mean why? You both were miserable not talking to each other and being away from each other. I am not blind. I kinda knew that Jake was acting like a dick because of overthinking stuff in his head and I definitely know you don't see me that way, so I just nudged him a bit. That's all." He said. "So, you played cupid for Jake?" I asked. "Not for him, no. For you, yes. I just wish he was more of an asshole you know? But, I don't think he can be an asshole around you, except for that one time. I told him I know when I was beat and I believe it." He said quietly. "Wow. Thank you. That is really nice of you." I said gratefully. He smirked, "Nice? Oh no. I'm just putting in a good word. So that you know whom to call when this turns to crap. He has mystery but we have chemistry, Jade." He said winking at me. Looking at my expression he chuckled, "Relax. I am happy for you guys but I am sad for me. Isn't that warranted?" "Yes it is. And I am sorry I couldn't reciprocate." I said. He gave me a long look, "Its alright. So what did you guys talk about in the morning?" "Nothing much actually. He was just checking up on me and then you walked in so we actually didn't have an elaborate conversation." I said. "I see. Well I hope the idiot at least has the courtesy of asking you out properly." He said in a monotone. I blushed. Eager to change the topic I said, "How do you think we can get the files on Amy?" "Well, I have an idea that I used to get out of a Test in High School. I think that might work." He said without elaborating. "What does that mean?" I asked. "You'll see," he said. We parked a few blocks down the road. The medical examiner's office, if we could call it that was also a funeral home, which I think wasn't odd as Duskwood was a tiny town. We got inside and honestly I had no clue what we were going to do next. But Richy seemed confident. He walked up to the man behind the desk and said he was here for Alfred Morris's funeral. The man nodded and gave us directions. Richy put his arm around me as we made our way down the direction that the man had pointed. "Who is Alfred Morris?" I asked. "Some person whose funeral is today. Jake checked the obituaries and luckily or unluckily, that guy's funeral is held here." Richy remarked. "That is wrong at so many different levels." I said. "Relax its for a good cause," he said calmly. He stopped at a door and said, "I will be right back, do not move no matter what happens, ok?" I nodded not knowing what to expect. Richy got inside and I waited outside patiently. A few minutes passed after which blaring alarms sounded all across the place. Followed by people running towards the exit. Fire alarms. The sprinklers got activated which caused the people to run faster. Good job Richy. A few minutes, the corridor was completely vacant and then Richy stepped out. I narrowed my eyes at him, "Should have told me. I would have worn a raincoat. Plus I hope you know you are going to die when people find out you did this." He smirked, "I can't die because hell is full. Let's go." We sprint down the hall and keep searching any signs that denote what is behind each door. We split and check each door, until I hear Richy call me, "Hey I guess I found it." I find him standing with the door open. We step into the room, which has drawer units. We again split and look through the drawer units as we hear sirens approaching, "Shit we have to hurry," Richy exclaims. We search based on the case number Jake had provided us and finally I found it in one of the drawers, "Got it." "Ok time to run." Richy said. We sprinted out through the back entrance just as we saw the fire trucks pull up.

As we walked right towards the car, we ran smack through the remaining gang members. Lilly, Dan, Cleo, Thomas and Jessy were standing right near Richy's car. They looked at us with a shocked expression. Thomas exclaimed, "Richy. Where have you been?" We walked towards them. "I was just here for a thing," Richy said vaguely shaking his head. "What are you guys doing here?" "We went to the station to check on you, but they said you got out on bail last night. Then we went to your home and you weren't there. Reggie told us that you said you got out and left for somewhere." Jessy said. Behind Jessy I saw Lilly mouth what is going on. I shook my head. "Reggie is here?" Richy growled. "Why are you drenched? And who is this?" Dan snapped. 5 pairs of eyes looked at me. "Oh, this is my girlfriend, Marina." "What?" Lilly snapped. "Huh? She looked different before?" Cleo remarked. "Ah yes. I changed my hair color. It's nice to meet you guys," I said nervously. "Its nice to meet you too finally. I don't know why Richy kept you a secret. Plus you left suddenly from the hospital," Jessy said. "Yes, I had some urgent work, so I had to leave," I said. "Still doesn't answer the question, why you guys are drenched?" Dan asked again. "We were inside when the alarms went off, so the sprinklers did this to us," Richy said. "Okaaaaaaaay. And why were you in a funeral home?" Cleo asked suspiciously. "Guys I would love to talk and hang out but we really need to leave. Get out of these clothes and knock some sense into Reggie," Richy said dragging my arm towards the car. He opened the passenger side of the car and shuffled me in. The gang gawking at us as if they had seen aliens. Richy gets into the driver's seat and drives away from them. "Richy what's going on? Who is Reggie?" I asked meekly. "My good for nothing idiotic, self-involved, baby brother." Richy growled.

Just at that moment, his phone rang. He picked it up on his dashboard and Jake spoke, "Hey I heard there was a fire at the medical examiner's office. Was that you guys?" "Yes," Richy growled. "What happened?" Jake asked. "We met the others outside the office." I said. "Ok so what did you say?" Jake asked. "Marina Sokolov.." I said. "Right. Are you guys headed back?" Jake asked. "No," Richy exploded. "What?" Jake asked. "I need to go home," Richy said. "Why?" Jake asked. "My brother is there.." "Reginald is here?" Jake asked. Of course, he would know who Richy's brother was. "Yes and I need to talk to him." "Ok see you later then," Jake said and hung up. "How is it that Jake knows about you having a brother and I don't?" I asked. "That's because he is Jake, he knows everything about everyone. And you never bothered to ask anything about me." Richy snapped. Ouch. "Where is this coming from?" I asked. "Like you don't know?" he snapped. "Are you serious right now? You said you were cool with it," I said. "Of course I am not ok with it. What do you think? I should be fine with a guy snaking away a girl. I should see Jake walk into the sunset with the girl I am in love with?" I looked at him with an expression which could only mean extreme shock, "You what?" Richy was silent. "Are you seriously bringing this up now?". "Well its high time don't you think? Tell me this. Did Jake tell you what he plans to do after all this is over?" Richy asked. "What do you mean?" I asked. "What's going to happen between the two of you after we find Hannah? Is he staying back? Is he going to get rid of all his ways? Are you going with him? What is it?" Richy cross questioned me. "We haven't spoken about this. It is not the right time," I said meekly.

"Yeah, then you are even more stupid than I imagined you to be. Why is that? Is it because your dad passed away, you want someone authoritative, arrogant guy to fill the emptiness, no questions asked?" Richy accused. I glared at him, "Stop the fucking car." His expression softened, "I am sorry I shouldn't have said that." "Stop the damn car or I can jump," I said seriously. He sighed defeatedly, "How about I drop you to Aurora?" "Anywhere far away from you." A few minutes later, he slows down the car at Aurora. I pick up the case file, slam the door and rush inside Aurora, not wanting to exchange anything with Richy. I plop myself at the bar counter. Phil, who was standing behind the counter gives me a look, then looks outside the door and then back at me again, "Trouble in paradise?" I don't say anything as tears roll down my face. Ok getting angry because I couldn't reciprocate his feelings was fine. Questioning Jake's and my relationship was also fine, but bringing my dad into this was literally the worst thing I could ever hear. "Hey? Jade are you ok? What happened?" Phil asked. "Nothing I am just a bit overwhelmed, that's it," I lied. Phil didn't seem to buy it completely but he doesn't say anything. Instead, he offers me a glass of water. "Really? I'm in your bar and you offer me water?" I snapped at him. "Someone never really let me drink away my sorrows last time so I think this is a .. punishment for that," he smirks. I gave him a small smile and drink the water. I feel a bit better, "You mind if do some reading?" I asked. "Be my guest. It's not like anyone will be coming in now." Phil says quietly.