Kabanata 48

Kabanata 48

Bad News

"Guess, somehow she's fighting this," Kale uttered under his breath. "I think she thought that she can't die without seeing or talking to you."

"She can't die even after she saw me," I said with finality.

"Let's just hope for that." He shrugged.

Umayos ako ng upo at hinarap siya. I frowned while looking at him.

He arched his brow. "What?"

"It seems like it didn't matter to you at the thought of her... dying." Singhal ko habang mabigat na nakatingan sa kanya.

He rolled his eyes. "Of course, it matters to me, Amaia. She's my-" He paused and cleared his throat. Na parang may hindi siya dapat na sabihin. "She's my boss and she's pretty important to me that's why it hurts seeing her like this, suffering from that fucking illness of hers. That's why even if it hurts more when she dies... at least her suffering will end. And let's admit it... she's really dying, and we need to accept that now so it would not fucking hurt much the moment it happens." He explained.

Biglang bumigat ang dibdib ko sa narinig mula sa kanya. What he said is kinda true and I don't know but his voice is hard, rasp and strong but I can see the pain in his eyes while he's telling me that.

I guess he really cares about her. And I'm so stupid to doubt his sincerity.

"Sorry if I offended you." Ako at yumuko.

"Don't be sorry. You didn't offend me." Aniya at marahan na ngumiti. "I'm the one who needs to say sorry. It's not good to say that especially to you her... daughter." He looked away.

"It's okay." I smiled simply.

We're still here at the hospital. Waiting for her to transfer to the ICU. I don't know what would I do next... should I go home for now? Or should I stay until she wakes up?

"Umuwi ka muna, Amaia. Wala pang kasiguraduhan kung kauilan siya magigising kaya mas mabuti munang magpahinga ka sa inyo sa ngayon. Don't worry I would contact you the moment she wake up." Kale said to me.

Sinabi ko kasing mananatili ako hanggang sa magising siya. Nagpresinta din akong asikasuhin siya habang nandito siya sa Hospital.
And still, I didn't see her which is why I wanted to stay here more.

"Gusto kong manatili." I uttered.

He tilted his head a bit and stared at me for a couple of seconds. "Are you sure? What about your Grandma?"

Lumunok ako at nag-isip. "She'd be fine... My aunt will be home."

He scowled. "Your aunt?"

"Yes. Kausap ko siya kanina at pauwi daw siya ngayon sa Sta. Valeria."

Matagal siyang tumingin sa akin habang nakakunot ang noo hanggang sa tumango ito. "Okay then. You'd stay."

We both go up in our seats when we saw her, lying in a hospital bed and taking her to the other room. Agad kaming lumapit at sumunod dito hanggang sa huminto kami nang nasa may pinto na kami.

My eyes went blurred with tears when I saw her. With her, closing her eyes, her skin and lips are very pale that makes me think that she's not sleeping anymore, that she's... dead.