Part 1

You pulled into the driveway of your house, exhausted from the day's work. You noticed two black SUV's parked on the opposite side of the street and you wondered briefly if your neighbors were having a party. You exited your car and grabbed your shoulder bag, reaching up to unbutton your white office shirt.

You pulled your keys out of your bag and walked up to the front door. You paused when you saw that the door was already ajar. You hesitated and stared at the door in confusion. You gently pushed the door further open and swallowed.

There was no sign that the lock had been tampered with. No sign of a break-in, or someone attempting to break the lock. That meant that it had been opened from the inside. Perhaps your father had forgotten to shut the door? But he almost never came to the front door, he always used the entrance to the garage. So why would the front door be open like this?

You pushed the door and entered cautiously, calling out for your father. When there was no answer, you knew something was wrong. He always responded to you when he called, even if he was stoned out of his mind. You set your bag down in the doorway and closed the door behind you. You knew that if there was someone in the house, they had already heard you come in, so you would have to think quickly.

You grabbed the umbrella that was still resting near the door from when it had rained the day before. You lifted it above your head. You would have to swing fast with no hesitation if someone was here. Swing first and ask questions later.

You crept into the house and brandished the umbrella over your shoulder like a bat as you peered around the corner into the kitchen. There was no one in the kitchen, so you continued further into the house. You paused as you were about the round the corner into the living room. You heard a creak in the floor about three feet from you, indicating that there was someone there. You took in a deep breath and counted to three. The silence was deafening as you counted: One... Two... Three!

You burst out from behind the corner and swung the umbrella fast. You expected to thwack someone on the head, but instead, the umbrella was caught mid swing, throwing you off-balance. You nearly fell forward, but caught yourself quickly, finding your footing and straightening out.

You looked up in horror to see the figure of a man in a smart suit holding your umbrella where you had swung it. His eyes glinted and he smirked as you glanced down to see the shiny metal object in his other hand. You instantly released the umbrella and raised your hands in surrender at the sleek black gun pointed at your torso.

The man tossed the umbrella aside and lifted the gun so it was now pointed at your temple. His lips curled back to reveal a sinister smile that sent chills down your back.

"Welcome home." His voice was deep and husky, like he had been smoking. You pulled your eyes from the threatening object in his hand and looked up into his dark, brooding eyes.

Your gaze panned further inside the living room where you saw three other strange men standing straight and staring at you. On his knees in the middle of the three men, your father gaped fearfully at you. He had a white gag around his mouth and his hands were duck taped behind his back. Your breath quickened as you tried to make sense of the situation.

"Who are you?" You let out, turning back to the first man. The man offered no response, instead sneering nastily.

He nodded to the living room and gestured with his gun that he wanted you to step further inside the room. You obeyed his silent command and cautiously stepped into the living room. One of the other three men grabbed your shoulder as you approached and forced you on your knees next to your father. You gave your father a panicked look and he returned it, his gaze full of terror, shame, and guilt.