twenty three

elodie phillips

A few days have passed since Malfoy took me to his garden. I haven't seen him leave his room in days. I get that we almost made a mistake, but I thought we were trying to be friends? I sighed and rubbed my eyes as I made my way downstairs. Narcissa and I were the only ones to attend each meal. Malfoy was still tucked away in his room, and Lucius has been missing ever since I arrived. I wanted to ask Narcissa, but again, I didn't want to get too personal.

Narcissa giggled a bit as I sat down at my normal spot at the dining table. "We," she started, excitedly running towards me, "are going to have the best day on Thursday."

"What do you have in store, Narcissa?" I asked curiously, a smile etching its way onto my face.

She returned the smile. "We are going to go shopping!" She exclaimed, throwing her hands up in surprise. My heart leaped out of my chest in excitement.

"Really?" I asked, already anticipating Thursday.

"Yes!" She replied joyously. "That ball I told you about is coming up soon, and I want you to buy a brand new dress for it, and maybe we can buy a couple of extra goodies." She winked at me and got up from her place, starting to clean up the mess from making the meal.

Things were getting better around here. Not that they were bad or anything. I was feeling better. My heart was still shattered into a million pieces, but the kindness and love that poured from Narcissa made my days go by easier.

"Today, I'll be gone this afternoon. I need to run some errands and get things sorted out for our date," Narcissa called from the kitchen.

"Okay!" I replied enthusiastically, picking up my plate and bringing it to her.

"It'll just be you and Draco at the house today," she added as I neared her. I scoffed a bit and rolled my eyes.

"I'm basically here alone," I replied with too much sarcasm. "He hasn't spoken to me in days."

"He thinks he's doing the right thing," She explained softly, looking sympathetic. "He probably just wants to give you space. He's not good at getting close to people. He always distances himself before he can get too close."

Before I could even respond, she continued, "Trust me, Elodie. I know my son. Just tell him that you want to be friends. I'm sure he'll come around. There's something about you that's new for him."

Something new? Like what? Questions swirled my mind, but I simply answered with, "Okay. I'll make sure to talk to him." Narcissa beamed at me as she took down her hair from a messy ponytail. With a few swishes of her wand, she threw it up into a bun and put on her matte black heels. Narcissa Malfoy is truly a remarkable woman.

The sound of the door shutting behind her echoed throughout the house. I could try to talk to Malfoy, or I could enjoy the time to myself. For the first time in a while, I chose myself. I nodded and started making my way out to the garden. The weather was gorgeous today. The sun was shining down brightly, and I craved to feel it warm my skin.

I hummed a simple melody as I made my way through the now-familiar hallways of the manor. I pushed the door open, unveiling a beautiful day.

draco malfoy

I got too close to her. I didn't want to mess with her grieving process. Besides, she's having the time of her life with Mum. She was good for Phillips, especially since her own mother was gone.

I didn't come out of my room much. I didn't want to put myself in a situation with her. I couldn't face her quite yet. So instead, I did things in my room to keep myself occupied. Today, I was reading a book. I had opened my windows as well, allowing the summer breeze flow. I breathed it in as it circulated through my room.