Chapter 30

Amrah's POV

It was finally time for daddy to go back and he came the day he was leaving to say bye to me and he asked if he could please speak to Maa and ask for her forgiveness. I was asked to get her and she blatantly refused. I begged her for a long time but she didn't budge so I decided to call Aunty Hauwa to help persuade her and went back.

Some minutes later, maa walked in with a blank expression as she found a spot and sat down. I felt very happy that she decided to come.

My dad started speaking. "Hajara I know I have wronged you but please find a place in your heart to forgive me." It was a long silence after that as we waited for Maa to respond.

"I'll be lying if I say I wasn't hurt by your action. I mean..." She shook her head unable to say words.

"Hajara you know I had no choice. I had to..."

"You don't have to do anything. It wasn't your decision to make? Who gave you the right to make that decision for me huh? You're just selfish." Maa said as she started crying hard. I quickly got up and hugged Maa to console her.

"Amrah, go out for a minute." Daddy said to me. I looked at Maa reluctantly and got up and left. I closed the door behind me and leaned on the door. I know they don't want me hearing some hurtful things but I couldn't help myself as I listened through the door.

I was surprised to hear the reason why they separated in the beginning and it all started to make sense why things happened the way they did. I really felt bad for him and my mum this shows how life throws things at you. They really loved each other but had to go apart.

I now understood why dad did what he did. It was a little selfish I know but he did what he thought was best for us. I felt hot tears running down my cheeks. I just wish they told me this before so I didn't spend all this time resenting him.

It was hearing that my dad was actually the reason why daddy married mum that shocked me the most. I had no idea that daddy and my dad knew each other. It was heartwarming knowing that Daddy really did his best to take care of me to the extent that I never felt like he wasn't my real dad.

What I didn't know was how it all happened. I guess I would never know.

When I got back in everything was resolved. Dad asked that I come visit him him in Dubai when we have a semester holidays. I really thought mum wouldn't agree but I was really shocked when she did and that assured me that she really had forgiven him.

*

We were all in the living room watching a program on TV but my mind was totally not on the program. I was busy chewing my fingers nervously thinking of how I'll tell mum this information.

Hanifa who was sitting next to me poked me in encouragement to talk. I glared at her.

Adnan was going to come on Saturday to basically introduce himself to them and I don't know how to tell them so I figured I'll tell mum so she will tell dad for me but it's still not that easy.

I'm nowhere ready for things to be official but he insisted so I agreed since there's no harm in it.

I was shocked when Hanifa just blurted it out without waiting for me and of course with some extra information that no one asked her for. I gasped as I glared at her. She shrugged with a laugh.

Maa smiled as she looked at me. She also started teasing me. I quickly got up and ran upstairs to my room not waiting to be embarrassed any further.

Hanifa followed me and I gave her a smack on her arm the moment she came in.

"Why did you do that?" I asked glaring at her.