Sabrina laughed. "It isn't as if I find overwhelming agreement around here, Therenden!"

"No, that is true. Though I did hear you managed to call a truce with Lady Imari. That was wise." He brightened as an idea struck him. "In fact, Lady Imari might be the one person who could hint to Lady Ælieni that Prince Zav is not suited to her position."

"My mind boggles at even attempting to ask Imari to do any such thing!" Sabrina exclaimed. "Besides, she probably agrees with the Council of Zentos." She drummed her fingers on the table for a moment. "Therenden, you've seen a lot more of Lady Ælieni than I have. Do you suppose if I sent Prince Zav off on some kind of mission, she'd forget him?"

"Perhaps." He paused. "It might also speed her departure. I admit, I am uneasy about having one of the Triumvirate here, with the possibility that Homeworld will discover Wayship Khediva and attack us at any time."

"God, yes. That's all we'd need, to be calling Lthos and apologizing for turning their Triumvirate into a duo. That settles it. I'll talk to Rayland about making some work for Zav, and we'll have to hope Lady Ælieni is easily bored."

Therenden smiled. "I'll see if Lady Alananria can help encourage her to go."

Sabrina grinned. "You do make the most useful friends, don't you, Therenden?"

"It is my particular talent, my lady. I wish I could pride myself on my foresight in befriending you, but alas, that was merely a self-indulgence that has come to good." He executed a graceful bow and departed after they exchanged good-nights.

__________________

Sabrina went straight to bed, hoping she would fall asleep before her mind could start spinning with all the myriad problems confronting her. It seemed that every time she identified a problem and started to deal with it, someone pointed out six related issues she hadn't even thought of. But at least I have a Mistress of the Household now, she thought, yawning.

Much later, she woke out of a troubled dream that fled as she blinked against a sudden onslaught of light. She was startled and alarmed to see her bodyguard standing beside the bed, pale and grim. Darice said, "My lady, we've received a distress call from Wayship Khediva. They want you in Control."

Sabrina bolted upright, taking in Darice's disheveled uniform, obviously thrown on in haste. As she jumped out of bed, Izana ran in, wearing a robe and mismatched slippers, and dove into the vast closet. By the time Sabrina had made it to her dressing table, Izana had emerged with the simplest mourning dress in the wardrobe. Sabrina threw herself into it and brushed her hair while Izana did the fastenings. "Let's go," she said to Darice.

Darice nodded, and Sabrina followed her at a fast jog down to Defense Control. Rayland and Mukryilla had their heads together in a low-voiced, tense conversation; Sabrina didn't see anybody else she knew. "What's happened?" she demanded, laying a hand on Rayland's sleeve.

"It is a general distress call from Khediva. We have no more information at this time but are attempting to pinpoint the coordinates," Rayland told her.

Sabrina felt her insides gel in terror. "The distress call is ongoing? It wasn't cut off?"

"It lasted precisely six point three seconds," Mukryilla told her grimly.

Sabrina clasped her hands tightly in front of her, trying to hide her sudden shaking. "What's... Is there anything happening in Giandrah?"

Mukryilla and Rayland exchanged glances, and Rayland said, "We don't know yet. There is no response from the Chamber."

Sabrina half-turned in a blind impulse to go see for herself, but Rayland stopped her. "We have sent a team to investigate," he said. "There is nothing we can do but wait."