Time Travel

You built a time machine to save him.

You broke the laws of the space time continuum in order to do so, but you got here either way.

I guess love is the greatest motivator.

You put on your suit to protect you from God only knows what's in there. You step in and hurry to put on your seatbelt. Your time is dwindling away.

The world rushes past you. You blink, and you miss half of the experience. So many missed opportunities and successful moments. Things you narrowly avoided. Tons of situations and "could-be's" whiz by.

You open your eyes and see a scene so brutal, you have to close them. You pray that he's still there, still alive. Because you only have enough energy to do this twice. Once coming here, and once going back.

You open your eyes and suppress a sob.

The battles left bloody scars all over the land. The metallic scent fills your nostrils and overtakes your senses.

You attempt to keep your composure and search the area. Your eyes blur with salty tears. You see him in the distance, and you've never ran faster in your life.

When you see him, you collapse by his side. He smiles up at you, blood and mud and tears caking his face. You push his hair back and cry, because after everything, you know it's too late.

You have to relive his death over again.

The first time it was just like this. You hoped you could make it to him before he died.

You know this is your last chance to say goodbye.

"I'm so sorry...I'm so, so sorry..," you say in anguish. You let this happen again. Your failed science experiment.

He just looks at you with tear filled eyes and whispers "It's not your fault."

Even though he says it so kindly, and he doesn't mean it to be, it sounds like an accusation.

You try to whisper your comfort into him. Memories and love and the beauty of the world. At least make his time out easier than before. The last thing you two say is "I love you."

The light goes out of his eyes. You shut his eyelids with careful fingers, just brushing his cold skin.

"It's almost as if he's asleep."