(50): Distance

*So, not much commentary on the last chapter. Now I can't tell if you guys liked it, loved it, or hated it. HAHA. Anyway, I know, I know. It's getting sadder and sadder. But, hey. Just a little bit more. We're going to get through this story together. Hope you guys keep on reading. Also, listen to the song that inspired the chappie title, on the side. It's Distance by Emily King. Love this song. Take care of you! (sorry, been watching Pretty Woman a lot lately)*

Nina's POV

"Derek's in a coma. The doctors say he may never wake up."

I stood there in shock, biting down on my lips to keep myself from screaming. Julianne was crying on the other end, probably just as much as I was crying right now.

"Nina?" Ian asked, reaching out to hold me. "Nina, come here, sit down."

I shook my head and stepped back. I tried to breathe calmly, but it wasn't working. I ended the call and held onto my phone tightly. I started sobbing, losing breath and trying to catch it again. I looked at my phone again and unlocked it, scrolling through my call log.

Derek called me in the car.

Right when Ian was the last person I wanted to be in there with me.

He told me he knew about what Ian said. He knew that he was getting back together with Nicky. 

But he was taking Ian's side. 

I snapped at him and basically told him to fuck off before ending the call. 

Now, that might possibly be the last thing I've ever said to him.

I tapped on his name on the screen and put my phone to my ear. I bit and unbit my lip, staring directly at Ian as I did so. 

He was looking at me, just as he always did. Like he was worried that something was going on with me that he couldn't fix. 

"Pick up, pick up, pick up," I muttered under my breath. "Dammit Derek, pick up! PICK UP!" I yelled louder and louder, before ending the call and hurling my phone at the wall, causing Ian to duck in panic.

The tears just kept attacking my face, fighting to get out. They drenched my entire face and I wrapped my arms around myself, hugging every inch of me to keep from falling apart.

Ian shook his head and rushed towards me, wrapping his arms around me. I tried to fight against him, but he just kept his grip around me tighter, whispering, "I got you, Nina. I got you."

I slowly sunk to the floor, taking Ian with me. He cradled me in his arms and tucked my head under his chin. He brushed my hair away from my face and placed his cheek on top of my head. "I got you."

I shook my head and let him calm me down. "It's not your fault," he whispered. "Nina, he's going to be okay."

"We don't know that," I whispered, my voice cracking. "We don't even know if he's going to wake up!"

"Don't say that," he whispered again. "You don't have any right to say that."

"It's true!" I snapped.

"Goddamit, Nina. It's not! You have no right to say that. You have no right to say things are going to happen when you know they're not going to."

I buried my head in my hands and stayed still, letting Ian rock me back and forth like a child. Crying like this was painful and really tiring. Eventually, I leaned back on Ian's chest and trailed my fingers on his arms. He pulled me up closer and said, "Let's get you to bed, okay?"

I nodded softly and sat up. Ian shook his head and grabbed me, hoisting me up as he stood up. He cradled me in his arms and carried me all the way up to his room. He carried me inside and closed the door behind us.