𝓒𝓱𝓪𝓹𝓽𝓮𝓻 𝓣𝓱𝓻𝓮𝓮

Start from the beginning

After almost three years of intense training, Madison had finally made it to graduation day. She's watched people come and go because they felt the training was too much or they were failing miserably in grades. But Madison knew there will come a day that even though they didn't make it in, they can use that knowledge if anything happens.

In the meantime, Madison stood lined up beside her fellow companions. The ones who made to the Top 12. Looking to her side, she smiled at Mikasa, holding out her hand to the black-headed girl as she did.

Mikasa gasped softly, seeing the hand in her sight and a small smile had plastered against her pale skin, her hand grasping her friend's and giving it a soft squeeze. "You did a great job, Maddie. Your father would have been very proud."

"Thank you, Mikasa. You did really good as well. You're gonna make a great soldier." Maddie complimented, Mikasa blushing in embarrassment and looking away. "Oh, gosh.."

"Not bad, Snow.." She heard Reiner say, the girl looking to the taller teen and smiling back at him. "You too, Reiner. All that training paid off."

"You're damn right it did. Thanks." Madison nodded, an overjoyed feeling of satisfaction washing over her. Not for herself, but for everyone else, the people she helped and who made it to the top 12. She felt proud that she had passed down some of her dad's teachings and it got people to where they are. Mikasa was right, her father would be proud if he was here.

She looked to the sky, the moon shining bright in the sky and it made Madison smile, knowing her father was watching over her.
--

"Where are you going, Dad?" Madison had asked one day her father was just leaving out the door, in his full body uniform and his green cloak with the Wings of Freedom stitched into its fabric. "I'm going on another expedition. I should be back in a few days time."

"Okay! Take down some Titans for me!" Madison said with a smile, her father looking back at her and a warm smile had spread across his face. "I'll try to. But, you know nobody's immortal, right Maddie?"

"I know, Dad.." Madison mumbled, thinking back to the day she found out about her Aunt Wendy who died in battle against the Titans. The same day she thought her Dad lost his powers. "And you know I'm not immortal either."

"I know. But I believe you'll make it back, Dad. That should be enough to bring you back here, right?" Madison asked, her Dad sighing, kneeling before her and looking her deep in the eye. "I'm afraid that's not how it works, Madison. You're smart enough to know when I'm lying, so..can't exactly sugarcoat anything. But just know this, if anything happens to me, if I don't make it back, just look to the sky at the moon, and I'll be staring back."

Madison knew this was now starting to get serious. It must have been one of those exploration missions, the ones they go on to expand to the outer world. She always knew those missions were dangerous, especially when her father has to live through it.

All the little girl could do was nod in understanding, tears suddenly slipping from her eyes.

"I know, Maddie. I know. But I'll do my best to come back. I promise." Madison looked back to her father and collided her tiny body into his, hugging him tightly. "Please don't leave, Dad! I'm....I'm afraid.."

"Don't be afraid, Madison." Her father stated, pulling away from the girl, his large thumb wiping the tears from her face. "You are the most bravest little girl I've ever known. You get taken down, you climb right back up. That alone tells me that you..will persevere through anything. And you're my daughter. My tough, stubborn daughter."

Madison's terrified face soon slipped into a determined one, a nod following soon after her father finished and she held up her fist to her heart, initiating the salute and 'devoting her heart'. Her father's eyes widened a bit at it, never feeling more prouder than he was in that moment.

Even at 9 years old, she was mature enough to understand the situation, know what he was getting into, and yet, she still wanted to go on to be like him. He noticed it all in just that one salute.

"I love you, kid. You'll make a great Scout one day. I know you will." Her father said, Madison smiling up at him, wiping her face. "I love you too, Dad."

"Excuse me, Commander Snow! The Scouts are preparing to depart, sir!" They both heard, turning to the door and seeing a Scout standing in their door way. "Thank you, Farlan. I'll be there in a moment."

The boy nodded, taking one look at Madison, seeing her big blue eyes staring back and waved slightly. The young girl waved back, watching as the boy ran off, her father turning around to leave.

"Dad?"

"Yes, Maddie?"

Blue eyes both met paths and for the first time in Madison's life, she saw fear appear in his eyes. Fear for his life, for his comrades, everyone who would be at risk that day. Madison had never seen her father so afraid in her life, and she could understand why.

"Good luck. And be careful." Her dad nodded, leaving out the door and the young girl fearing for her father's life.