Sabrina tried to blink away the tears in her eyes. "I hope so. I'll do my best."

"I know you will, child."

"But what is it with me that all the men I associate with fatherhood have this thing about dying?" she demanded, not quite joking. "King Baldaran, Tirqwin, now you...." She did not mention her own father, whose death had started the chain, but she knew Rayland and Scotty would catch her unspoken thought.

Rayland said, "We all die, Sabrina. Your own father went before his time, before he could prepare, it is true. But my brother was ready for his death, though it happened so suddenly in the end. I think he welcomed it, in many ways. And Tirqwin chose life, when he was forced to choose. Having done so, he will continue to do so. As for me..." He paused, then smiled, his eyes distant. "I have lived too intimately with Death to fear him. Besides, it is different for Miahns than for you. Some part of me will always be part of the Great Crystal. Every time Maratobia draws upon it, I will be there; those who go to meditate on the Crystal will enter a communion of which I am part. I am sorry you will not have that comfort yourself, but you will at least know that it is so."

Sabrina looked up, surprised. "And King Baldaran is there? And Shariara? Everyone?"

"Yes. Not our whole selves, but the pure essence of our spirits, our thoughts. We are connected through the Crystal in our lives, and even more so in our deaths. That is what makes us Miahn."

That is how they can bear it. All the tremendous losses aren't totally lost. How wonderful, Sabrina thought. She smiled. "Well, stay with us outside the Crystal for a long time, please."

"I'll do my best," he smiled. "Ah, here comes Lady Imari. And Miosch, precisely on time. Excellent! Dinner is almost ready."

He greeted Imari and Miosch fondly, then looked on with approval as Imari turned to Sabrina. "My lady," Imari said, "I cannot begin to thank you for your gift. It is truly beautiful, and brings me much joy."

Sabrina smiled, pretending not to notice the slight awkwardness Imari evidently felt. "I'm so glad it gives you pleasure," she replied. "Come and see my other roses sometime. Oh, speaking of that, I was wondering what you would think of my using the conservatory in the Guardian's apartments to grow my rosebushes."

Imari considered. "Those apartments have been disused for centuries, and will in all likelihood remain so. I do not see any objection."

"Thank you. I did not want to interfere with anything in the Council of Trême's authority."

"A wise policy," Imari said.

Sabrina wondered exactly when she should inform Imari of her plans to negotiate with Homeworld. Not at the dinner table, she thought firmly. But it had to be soon, before it became common knowledge among the Ministers. And I'll get Rayland's advice before I do it, she resolved, watching Rayland and Imari chatting comfortably together.

Miosch was standing nearby, having exchanged greetings with Scotty, who was no longer lounging but doing a respectable imitation of an officer. Sabrina wondered how to start the conversation she wanted to have with him, and finally blurted out, "I'm afraid I inadvertently deprived you of your lunch companion."

To her relief, he did not pretend not to understand her. "I did find Princess Sehaèri's departure a little precipitate. Was it on an errand for you?"

"No. A misunderstanding, which I hope to clear up when she arrives tomorrow. I am hoping she will become my Mistress of the Household."

He nodded approvingly. "She would make an excellent one. She is a very clear thinker, and has a gift for organization."

"Yes. I enjoy her company." Sabrina searched for a way to convey her message in an acceptably subtle manner. "I hope the two of you can resume your lunches; I know how much she enjoys them."