Chapter 5: Center Stage

Start from the beginning

"I have an enormous respect for Praxatillus and its people. I have been particularly impressed by the fact that nearly everyone I have met here has been dedicated to the good of the planet above their personal welfare. This is something I wish to emulate, not to change." She paused. "King Baldaran was very kind to me. I tried to be worthy of his regard, because it meant so much to me. And my adopted father, Commander Rayland, has welcomed my brother and myself into his family with such generosity that, even were I to live a thousand years, I could never repay him for it. His guidance and encouragement have made it possible for me to undertake the many tasks demanded of me. And the Queen, who is my cousin now, became the sister of my heart long ago.

"In addition, I have met with kindness, and a spirit of tolerance and forgiveness, from almost everyone I have encountered here, as I have tried to learn the language and customs. I wish to go on learning, to make myself truly a part of this great society, in my words and deeds as well as in my heart. I am saying this to you so that you will understand that my goal is the same as yours: to rebuild Praxatillus and restore its prosperity and serenity. I have come among you as a stranger, but I hope not to be for long. And I have no personal agenda, no wish to impose different ways. My sole aim is that of the Queen, and of her father before her: to emerge from the tragic centuries of war strong and whole.

"To do this, we must first have peace. The unwarranted attacks on us by the Wayfarer Homeworld must stop. That is the one overriding goal of this regency. Without peace, we cannot hope to revive our trade and rebuild our economy. King Baldaran made an excellent start; I will do everything I can to see that his plans are not ruined by this unfortunate enmity between our worlds. And, when we have peace, the Queen and her Lord Consort can return to us. That is my primary aim and fervent desire.

"While we are taking steps to achieve this peace, we must explore with our allies and trading partners ways to continue our economic reconstruction. We must also begin transforming our educational system to prepare people for peacetime occupations, even as we rebuild our defense forces to once again be one of the most respected in the galaxy.

"I know that we can do all these things together. I have a great respect for the government officials joined with me in this task as well as for the people of Praxatillus, and I know they are capable of these things and much more. I am honored to work with them all.

"As a further help, I have asked each province and principality to send a representative to sit on the new Citizens Council. These citizens will advise me and help me to understand what it means to live on Praxatillus, so that my decisions will be as beneficial as possible for all citizens. And I encourage every one of you to communicate with me if you have ideas or comments. I will be continuing the royal tradition of receiving petitions twice monthly. You may also express your opinions to your representative on the Citizens Council, who will pass them along to me.

"I want to tell you how proud I am to be here tonight—not to be on this throne, but to be with you, the people who have built this wonderful world and have refused to surrender it to anyone, no matter what the cost. I join with you in that responsibility, and I count it a privilege to do so. Let us all work together to make our world great again. I know that we can. Thank you, and may the hand of Miah guide us all."

Sabrina rose, and the audience hurried to stand as she did. She was trembling with the effort the speech had cost her, and all she wanted was to make her escape. But as she stepped off the dais, someone in the audience called out, "Hail the Lady Regent!"

The hail was echoed throughout the hall, three times, with increasing volume and vigor each time. Sabrina stood, dazed by the noise and her own success, looking at the blur of faces before her. As the last echoes of the last cry faded, she wondered in panic what to do next. It seemed ungrateful to just walk out without some kind of acknowledgment.

Her gaze fell on Rayland, smiling at her, standing straight and tall with his usual gentle grace. It reminded her of something, something she had heard. Suddenly it came to her, and, smiling at the audience, she began to sing:

"Stretching to the sky,

Reaching deep in the soil,

Standing tall and strong,

Unmoved by wind or wave,

The Trees stand forever."

The audience joined in, singing the planetary anthem solemnly. Sabrina had heard it many times during her stay on Praxatillus, and it always moved her that everyone who sang it did so with emotion. In the final stanza, she moved toward the doors, still singing. She could hear Scotty's soft baritone and Darice's clear alto behind her as they fell into step, and she could have sworn one of the heralds at the door grinned at her as she passed.

The doors swung shut behind them, and Sabrina closed her eyes and took a deep breath of relief. "Thank God that's over!"

She opened her eyes to find Darice looking at her with something like awe, and Scotty grinning uncontrollably. "Man, Rina," he said softly, "if we ever go back home, you either gotta get a job at the White House, or go into show business!"

"No way," she said firmly. "If we go back home, I'm going where I belong, into psychology, where I can deal with one person at a time! Come on. I need a drink."

Scotty chuckled.