Chapter 1: Memory Walk

Start from the beginning

Dressed in her iconic pink AIRism T-shirt from Uniqlo, it would be hard to forget their ray of sunshine of a facilitator. Except now, So Sook had a pink whistle hanging around her neck, the hallmark of a true Head Camp Counselor.

"You two have grown! When did you become so big? Binnie, you've grown into a fine man." So Sook got emotional as she fussed over her two favourite campers.

"It's been a while, Teacher So Sook." Hyun Bin's wide-dimpled smile was prominent on his face.

So Sook's eyes filled with tears when she heard Hyun Bin's voice. Her beloved baby boy's voice has gotten deeper since the last time she saw him. Oh, how the times have changed.

"Teacher So Sook, we've missed you too!" Ye Jin grinned before they hugged.

"Oh, it's been too long! I'm so happy you're back!" So Sook cheered as she ushered them indoors.

The three of them caught up on lost time as they navigated their way to the instructors' lodge easily. Ye Jin and Hyun Bin slept in here with So Sook that one time they both got spooked by the ghost stories some of the older kids were telling them. 

Those kids got the scolding of their lives from So Sook, but the damage was done. So Sook decided to let them sleep with her for the night. That was yet another fond memory they had together. Ye Jin and Hyun Bin were her favourite campers for good reason.

Looking at them now, the soft smile only grew on her face when she noticed how attentive Hyun Bin was towards Ye Jin. They used to fight like cats and dogs when they were children. Yet, there was no denying that they were protective of each other from young. Their friendship has clearly grown since then.

"The rest of the facilitators haven't arrived yet. Oh, this is Raven, my Vice-head." So Sook introduced.

"Annyeonghaseyo, Raven-ssi. I'm Ye Jin and this is Hyun Bin." Ye Jin greeted shyly.

The woman, dressed in a black shirt, gray jogger pants and white rubber shoes was currently scribbling away on her clipboard. At the new arrivals, she looked up sternly at the two high-schoolers before her lips twisted up into a tiny smile. Acknowledging their greeting with a slight nod, Raven turned back to the administrative stuff she was working on.

"I have another Vice-head, Jasmine but she's with her kid now. You'll probably see her later." So Sook informed the two of them.

Knowing that her dear partner needed some time to warm up to them, So Sook led them into another room with mismatched couches and chairs. It was a common room of sorts and they were told this would be where the meeting would be held. After showing them their rooms, Ye Jin and Hyun Bin were told to report back to the common room in a few minutes.

Minutes later, the common room was alive with renewed energy as the rest of the facilitators slowly streamed in one by one. Ye Jin and Hyun Bin took a seat together on one of the couches as they studied the people in the room. 

Everyone was dressed in various tank tops, shirts and leggings for full comfort just like Ye Jin and Hyun Bin. It was clear who were the social butterflies because those were the few who were already striking up conversations as they waited for the meeting to begin. Ye Jin was getting nervous meeting so many new people and Hyun Bin was exactly the calm energy she needed.

"I hope I'll get good mentors." Ye Jin muttered underneath her breath.

"You'll be fine, Jinnie." Hyun Bin whispered back before he jumped slightly at the loud squeal coming from the doorway.

Even though he was in high school and Ye Jin's girl clique could get loud at times, the squeal that came from the two women at the doorway could give them a run for their money. At that moment, So Sook stood up and clapped her hands. The room quieted down instantly, and all eyes were on So Sook as she smiled broadly at everyone.