Upon all the commotion of the students' whispers and gasps, Riven, Beatrix, and Dane – the boy Terra had befriended – cane out from the stone pillars.

"We need a med kit from the Bastion," I told them urgently.

"I'll get the headmistress," Beatrix said, and she ran towards the stairs as Riven ran to get a med kit.

"Dane, help us carry him to the greenhouse," Terra requested, and he switched places with Musa.

"Nearly there, Mr. Silva," Terra said, and she met eyes with another boy. "Sam, go and get Dad."

"Dad?" Musa questioned.

"He's my brother," Terra replied.

We had gotten to the greenhouse and seated him on a bench. Dane had then left as Dowling had entered. Once Riven finally came back with the med kit, Professor Harvey gathered his supplies with Terra's help.

Snow began to fall as I paced back and forth. Silva was in really bad shape. Those people back in the woods were even worse. They were dead, and that girl who was impaled...

I tried not to think about what could have happened if we hadn't been there at all. We wouldn't have known about their death until days later, and Silva would not have survived.

"Hey, relax," Riven said to me. "He'll be fine."

"How bad is it? Can you help him?" Sky asked.

"Sky, I'll be fine," Silva assured. "Just let Professor Harvey do his work."

"It's good you used your magic," Professor Harvey said to me. "Smart – freezing the molecules, allowing the cells to regenerate."

"Terra's idea," I said, giving her a small smile.

"I should've moved it right away, had more soldiers," Dowling said, walking closer to him.

"Guys, could we have the room, please? We'll keep you informed," Silva requested. "Go on."

Sky stayed back with Terra and Musa as they wanted to help Professor Harvey. I went back to the suite, noticing that Riven was trailing behind me. I didn't mind, and let him inside our suite, then walked over to make myself a drink.

"Is hot chocolate like your alcohol?" Riven asked in a joking manner, but I didn't respond. "How did you find Silva anyway?"

"I–I don't want to talk about it," I said quietly. "It just reminds me of... "

I trailed off, and Riven nodded in understanding.

"I know Silva and I have a strained relationship, but he's the only one we have. We can't lose him, especially not Sky."

"I'm sure Dowling and the Solarians will send out troops for it," he assured. "They'll find it."

"I know Sky," I said. "It's the one thing about him that hasn't changed. He'll try to find it – the Burned One. I–I need to help."

"Ah the hero complex," Riven commented. "Definitely grew up together."

I rolled my eyes at his comment, though I did appreciate his subtle attempts to lighten the mood.

"Not saying you need it, but I'll help you," Riven offered.

There was no pity and no condolences. I was glad he knew that it wasn't what I needed. He didn't see me as a helpless damsel in distress and neither did he judge me.

So maybe he isn't the bad guy everyone is saying he is...

Riven

The more and more Demi and Riven had gone beyond the barrier to track the Burned One, the more he realized it had become an obsession to her. Not only was she looking for it, but so was Sky. He noticed Sky had missed spar sessions and wouldn't come back until late, if not at all.

Riven wasn't fully aware of it, but he was starting to get worried, and he didn't want her to hate him for it, especially since he offered his help.

"Come on, Trie," he called.

So many people had called her Demi, so Riven found a new name to call her by. One day, it came out naturally, and Riven was surprised that Demi hadn't reacted badly to it.

"It's getting dark," Riven told her. "We should get back. Classes are tomorrow."

"I thought you were the type not to care," she said back.

"True, but Silva has us training harder than ever," Riven said. "I'm talking like running five miles, hand-to-hand combat, wrestling, weapons training – all that stuff."

Riven ran to catch up with her and then grabbed her wrist to stop her. She stopped, turning to him.

"We'll find it, okay? I promise," he said. "Silva's still good. The Zanbaq's working. You need some rest. I need rest."

She sighed and nodded, saying, "Okay."

They separated ways in the courtyard, both of them going to their dorms. When Riven got to his dorm, a lamp flicked on, dimly lighting the room. Riven shielded his eyes, and once they adjusted, he saw Sky.

"Where were you?" he asked.

"Dramatic much?" Riven remarked, taking off my jacket. "I was doing some late-night training."

"You aren't going to tell me, are you?" Sky questioned.

"Even if I wasn't telling the truth, which I am telling the truth, I wouldn't tell you," Riven said. "Besides, you're the one always coming back late."

"That— "

"Unlike you, I don't lecture," said Riven, falling onto his bed. "Well, good night."

Riven didn't feel like he had slept at all when he awoke. And he didn't – he had only slept for two hours. There was pounding on the door. When Riven looked over at Sky's bed, he found that he wasn't there.

That hypocrite, sneaking out, too.

Riven groaned as he got out of bed. With a great yawn, he opened the door. Standing before him were Terra and Musa.

"Where's Sky?" Terra demanded.

"Not here," Riven answered, noticing her sharp tone. "Snuck out. Why?"

"Something's happening. It's Demi."

Demi

I walked into the hall with Leon by my side. He pressed a kiss to my temple, then said, "That was better than you thought, wasn't it?"

I smiled sheepishly and said, "Maybe... Thank you for taking me, even though I'm wearing shoes with this dress."

"I think you look beautiful even with the most unexpected, crazy outfits," he said with a laugh. "Remember that one for spirit week? You wore that red— "

I covered his mouth, too embarrassed to hear it. He laughed, pulling my hands away as he tried to finish his sentence. But then, his smile faded and he stared down the hall.

I saw Hannah, his ex-girlfriend. Then, I saw something silver shine in the light. She pulled it out, and I recognized the gun, I pushed Leon to the side, and we fell to the ground. The gunshot rang throughout the corridor and I looked at Hannah.

"What are you doing?!" Leon exclaimed. "Hannah?!"

"You took everything from me!" Hannah screamed. "Now, it's my turn. If I can't have him, there's no way I'm letting you have him – not the new girl."

More gunshots. This time, I wasn't fast enough. Leon was shot multiple times in the stomach and he fell onto the ground, blood pooling around him. I kneeled beside him, holding him close, but he was already dead.

"No!"

Ice covered the grounds and walls. Spikes of ice rose from the ground, heading to Hannah who had begun running. I stood up, watched her run, and in the next second, an icicle shot at her like an arrow, impaling her heart.