04

CHAPTER IV:

❄︎ INSOMNIA ❄︎

"my thoughts can be an angel or a devil"
___________

I didn't mind doing things alone. I couldn't argue with anyone, nor did I have to ask for someone else's opinions. Completing the tasks alone was quicker than those who worked together. But this time, I was working together.

I couldn't let Bloom be killed – not like the shepherd; not like my father.

We rushed to the barrier, briskly walking through it, and an odd shock of electricity travelled throughout my body. Then we journeyed into the forest towards the old cemetery Stella had mentioned.

It was dark, and we could barely see anything. But once my eyes adjusted to the darkness, I could see years-old headstones covering the grassy area. Finally, the moon's light shone down upon the cemetery, illuminating the ivy-covered mausoleum.

But before we could do anything, I heard a sound from behind us. I turned, but no one was there.

Maybe I'm being paranoid...

"What is it?" asked Musa.

"Just a rustle over there," I replied, nervous.

"You're making it snow," Aisha pointed out. "How are you making it snow?"

"She's just heard something and you're asking how she's making it snow?" Musa questioned incredulously.

Musa looked at me again and asked, "Is there something else?"

"Someone's coming," I told them, pointing to where I heard the footsteps.

Their heads turned to look, but they shook their heads, looking at me weirdly.

"I'm not crazy," I defended myself, seeing the looks on their faces.

"Stop messing around," said Aisha. "This is serious."

"She's not messing around," Musa said quickly, and I smiled at her, grateful that she was on my side. "I sense someone else's worry, and it's not coming from any of you."

"I told you, we should have gone to Miss Dowling," Aisha said.

"You should have," said a voice, and they all jumped at the stern voice of the headmistress. "Now, you four wait here."

She shook her head and continued towards the gateway alone. A few minutes later, the door opened and a frantic Bloom ran out. Through the doorway, I could see a tall black figure through the door. Then, the door closed.

"Are you okay?" Aisha asked.

"Yeah. Yeah, I think so," Bloom replied, panting heavily. "What the hell was that thing?"

"I'm pretty sure it's called a Burned One," Terra answered.

"Huh?" she spoke. "Wait. Where's Stella?"

"She's at school," I responded. "Why?"

"That thing just took her ring."

I knew what kind of girl Stella was. I knew how mad she would be once she learned her ring was taken by a creature. Plus, her hatred for Bloom increased minute by minute.

We had walked back toward the barrier whilst receiving a long lecture from Miss Dowling. But once we were back on Alfea grounds, we were safe. Finally.

"The Headmistress will take care of the Burned One, Bloom," Aisha assured. "She won't leave it in the First World. Don't worry. Your parents are safe."