Rayland kissed her forehead. "Welcome, daughter of my heart."

"Thank you, father," she replied. He smiled at her before turning to Scotty, and Sabrina somehow managed to keep the tears from her eyes until he could not see them. She thought of her real father, and wondered what he would have thought and felt about this. She wondered whether she would have been a disappointment to him, or whether he would have seen reason to be proud in having raised a daughter found worthy of being the heir to a man respected on a dozen planets and more.

Don't cry, she told herself sternly. They might take it the wrong way. He might take it the wrong way. Think of something cheerful. She looked over at Miosch and remembered that she was expected, by tradition, to marry him. He did not look like a happy person, or an easy one to know, she thought.

Beside her, Scotty was going through the same actions and phrases, but the woman who had handed Rayland the robe, Sabrina was surprised and a little worried to note, was Imari. The First Chair of the Council of Trême did not look at all happy, but she spoke the ritual acknowledgment calmly. Scotty looked unnerved to his sister's knowing eye, but he stood straight and still and managed to get all his lines right. He looked younger than he had since they had come to live on Praxatillus, she thought. She wondered why she should feel as though she had failed her brother by not being able to provide the guidance a father should have given him. Or perhaps she only felt guilty for not having realized that he missed it so badly.

Rayland kissed Scotty's forehead and said, "Welcome, son of my heart."

"Thank you, father," Scotty replied. Sabrina realized with a shock that her brother had spoken Praxatillian throughout, instead of relying on Khediva's or Mara's translation. It was the first time she had ever heard him do so, though she had been speaking the language as much as she could since taking control of Mara's household.

The ceremony all but over, Scotty relaxed under Rayland's approving gaze. Sabrina felt relieved. Whatever happened to her, Scotty would be safe, emotionally and mentally, in Rayland's care.

Everybody's okay but me, she thought, glancing over to where Mara and Tirqwin sat, and I'm about to get a big target painted on my back. But if that enabled Mara, Tirqwin, Khediva, and Scotty to be better off, then she must accept it.

Rayland took her hand in his free one and nodded for Scotty to stand at the side of the arm that held his cane, and they walked over to Mara and Tirqwin, with Miosch and Imari trailing.

"Your Majesty," Rayland said with grave formality, "I beg your permission to present to you my daughter, Sabrina Marie ya Tassan nar Hamilton-Devon, and my son, Scott Hamilton ya Tassan nar Hamilton-Devon. Will you accept the reaffirmation of their oaths of fealty?"

"We shall," Mara replied.

Sabrina curtsied and said, "Your Majesty, my Lord Consort, I renew my pledge to you of loyalty and service, in the tradition of my father and my family."

Sabrina saw the little flurry that went through the crowd as she included Tirqwin in her reaffirmation; it was unusual to swear fealty to a consort who held no official authority. But it was important to her that he be included, not only to highlight his position as Mara's husband, but to acknowledge the friendship and respect that bound them.

"And we renew our pledge to provide for you and use your service wisely," Mara replied, smiling. "Welcome, cousin." Then she looked over at Tirqwin and squeezed his hand where it lay under hers on the arm of his chair. He looked at her, then at Sabrina, and said, smiling, "Welcome, cousin."

Scotty recited the same pledge, with Mara and Tirqwin making the same answer. Sabrina felt proud and relieved that her brother had followed her lead; he must have realized how important it was that Tirqwin not feel left out of this particular ceremony. It was important to Mara too, she knew, as she saw the glow in the Queen's violet eyes. Tirqwin's expression was almost wry, which puzzled and hurt Sabrina until she realized that he was unable to accept any gift of hers without remembering the one she had not wanted to give.