8: Towntopia

The town of Port Espada stretched out in front of the ship. Colorful houses dotted the streets and contrasted against the blue ocean. The island was shaped like a half-moon, or perhaps a swordfish, and in the middle of the curve, the town dwelled. This was where pirates, looters, general outlaws, and other refugees from society gathered. It was their town, with their rules.

Surprisingly, it wasn't a crime-ridden town but rather a utopia of freedom, laughter, and joy. A place where all the expectations of regular society were absent. Everyone was allowed to be who they wanted and love who they wanted.

Ignacio stood at the front of the boat like a figurehead as the Estrella sailed into the harbor. The green and orange scales blended into the coppery wood and the lizard looked like he was part of the ship itself. His hat was slightly crooked but stayed in place.

As the ship neared the docks, Alba could see people pointing, whispering, and gasping. It seemed their lizard captain had made an instant impression.

***

After having ordered new sails in the merchant quarters, Alba walked towards the downtown area. It would take a few days before the new sails could be delivered and mounted on the ship.

Despite it being daytime, the alleys were filled with drunken and talkative sailors. But with Ignacio by her side, she didn't have to worry about anyone bothering her. One look or wheeze from the lizard seemed to deter even the hardiest sailors.

Pedro and Joe had first insisted on coming along to get the sails, which would have been a hassle since they surely would not have been able to agree on what sail to acquire, but had been persuaded not to by the promise of liquor and food. At Alba's suggestion, carried forward by Ignacio, they and the rest of the crew had gone to Diego's Tavern for breakfast. The place was widely known to serve the fluffiest pancakes and the crispiest bacon in all of the seven seas.

The new sails had been paid for with the remaining loot from the successful pineapple heist of last summer. That had been a grand time. Fruit had flown through the air and Captain Ignacio had looked very handsome in his disguise. Even Alba could admit that, and she usually didn't find men handsome.

But now there was nothing but turnips left of their previous loots. They had to find that treasure or else this might be the end. The sailors would have to look for work elsewhere if there were no doubloons to pay them with. Still, the new sails were necessary. Alba wasn't willing to risk becoming lost at sea with sails that could take them nowhere, hoping that the waves carried them to shore and that the turnips lasted long enough for them to not have to turn to cannibalism.

Grey and pink cobblestones arranged into artful mosaic covered the main square. Octopi fought with whales and starfish cuddled with jellyfish on the ground of the plaza. Along the sides laid taverns and bars where visiting sailors gathered in celebration and jolliness.

Alba could see, and hear, her crew before she even entered the square. Joe's voice rang over everyone else's as he bellowed out a heartfelt song and Pedro's peg-legged tap-dancing followed the melody. The lyric told about a pirate who rescued a princess from a bloodthirsty sea monster. Of course, neither Joe nor Pedro had been part of such heroic deeds, but that didn't stop them from singing. Loudly.

As she came close Alba saw that both men stood atop tables, entertaining a whole crowd below. The rest of the crew danced along beside them, tipsy and joyful about being ashore. Two crew members were missing though, Grace and Lucien.

Grace had chosen to stay behind on the ship, probably enjoying some quiet reading time. The stern cook had a pile of romance novels hidden under her bed, where she thought Alba wouldn't find them. Alba had found them though, and she had also read most of them. Just because you didn't believe in romantic dreams didn't mean you didn't enjoy reading about them.