chapter fifteen, snow flurries

I kick my trying to push myself deeper underneath the counter as if maybe I'll faze through the counter and become invisible.

"Hey, it's alright. I'm not gonna hurt you," he whispers dropping his sword on the ground and resting his hands in front of him unthreateningly. His golden boots contrast his green creeper hybrid skin. His dark green hair flops over his forehead above his ocean blue eyes. "I guess I should introduce myself. You can call me Sam." He reaches out his hand for a handshake.

I reject it pulling my knees closer to myself. "Tommy," I mumble quickly avoiding eye contact.

"Ok well Tommy, why don't you come out from under the counter? I can't imagine it being very comfortable down there," he suggests reaching out his hand again. I accept as he pulls me out from under the counter. "Oh god, look at your arm. Let me get some bandages."

"I'm fine," I complain.

"No you're not, your bleeding," he reasons. He opens the cupboard grabbing a bundle of bandages.

A heavy breath escapes my mouth in frustration. He grabs my arm wrapping the bandage around it tightly. "Ow, that fucking hurts."

"Sorry, just a little bit longer," he apologizes. He firmly ties up the bandage finishing. "There we go, I'll clean up this mess and make some tea. You can just sit down at the table over there." I hesitate for a moment, my hands trembling. I nod in agreement sitting down at the table resting my head in my arms. Sam grabs a broom sweeping the broken dishes into a pile. "So, why are you in my house?" Sam questions.

"I was cold and tired."

Sam raises an eyebrow. "Why were you out in the cold? Don't you have a family or something to go back to?"

"It's complicated," I firmly respond.

"This kitchen is a huge mess, I have time," he laughs at his joke.

I debate for a moment whether to tell him. "I just, don't seem to belong anywhere," I explain. "My whole life I thought I was where I was meant to be. I had my whole life planned out and ready but... something happened. I found a place I liked better and it was nice but they didn't want me anymore. So I was forced to leave into the forest, almost got kidnapped, and now I'm here so."

"Oh, well you can stay here at least for the night," Sam comforts starting the tea. The kettle whistles letting out a high-pitched sound.

"Do I have to?" I ponder.

"I mean, I'm not forcing you."

"Alright," I confirm. I lift my head, sitting up in my chair. "I'll stay then."

Sam carefully pours the tea into two small glasses. He picks them up carrying them to the table. "Here you go."

I pick up the tea by the handle softly blowing on it. I hate burning my tongue on hot drinks. The steam flows from the hot tea flowing into the air. I lift the cup to my mouth sipping on it. "Who are you exactly?"

Sam clears his throat. "Well, you already know I'm Sam. I'm a redstone engineer. I make all sorts of contraptions and gadgets. Some consider me to be the best in the universe but that's a matter of opinion."

He feels familiar. Like I've seen him before. Perhaps in a book. It makes sense that I've read about him before if he is considered the best redstone engineer in the universe. "Why do you live in the middle of nowhere?" I say while holding the burning hot teacup in my hands.

"I don't live out here. I'm on a vacation of sorts. The place I actually live at is a mess." He smiles weakly.

"Oh, well you should live here instead," I recommend sipping on my tea.