chapter six, new environments

Tommy's POV

Light floods into the room from the window as my eyes flutter open. I grab my head trying to recall what happened yesterday. I reach towards the bed stand grabbing my eye contacts. I quickly put them on and jump out of bed. I walk towards the dresser on the other side of the room and take one of my pills shoving it down my throat and swallowing it with one big gulp. I throw on a cloak and hoist my bag across my shoulder, ready for the day. I spot a fluffy armchair in the corner of the room. I plop myself onto my chair feeling a recoil from the bounce. What do I do now? Surely, I can't go wake up the others. I sit patiently in the chair. A few minutes go by as I hear a knock at the door.

"Hey, time to get—"

I swing the door open as he stops.

"Oh, you're already dressed and prepared. Wow ok, let's go then," the brunette yawns.

I follow the brunette through the inn while staring at the floor. I struggle to keep going as every step gives me a jolt of pain but I try my best to keep up. I stumble out the door and door slams shut as the faint bell chimes. I glance upwards to see the pink-haired man leaning against his horse.

"Oh, already? Alright Wil, let's head out."

Wil? I guess that's the brunette's name. I just need to figure out the pink-haired guy's name. I feel like I've seen these people before. I don't remember when. I don't put too much thought into the matter. I mean, they're royalty, I've probably heard of them before. Wil climbs onto his horse and gives me a wave gesturing me to join him. I hop on behind him and grab onto his jacket leaning my head against his back.

"Hey kid, you might want to put your hood up. Being seen with royalty is a big deal and you know people can be a bit...invasive sometimes," Wil whispers.

I nod lifting my hood covering my face. It's harder to see but I can't draw too much attention. I'd rather not be discovered. I feel a bump as the horse suddenly takes off.

...

The sun soon moved closer to the center of the sky as noon quickly approached. I soon saw a kingdom appear on the horizon. It felt, familiar. As the kingdom faded into view another large building faded into sight. A castle. An all too familiar one at that. I bite down on my lip. The same castle I once saw in a dream. Panic rose in me. The castle made me stressed and uncertain but also weirdly happy. I feel my fists tighten. How am I supposed to feel?

"It's ok, your safe. We're almost there," Wil reassures. He rests his hand on mine for a second before returning to his reins.

The stress declines as I loosen up and wind down. I'm safe I guess. The panic silences as I feel a warm and fluffy feeling rise, overtaking the stress. It's almost like a sense of security. No one could possibly see my face under the cloak but a bright warm smile grew underneath the hood as I bury my head against Wil's back.

We begin to approach the palace as whispers of passing villagers surround us. It bothers me since I know what they're talking about.

We finally reach the wall where a large spruce gate stood in front of us. The wall is littered with vines and made with stone bricks. Wil looked up towards the guard sitting on top of the wall. The guard nodded pulling a lever as the door creaked open. The horse trotted forwards leading us through the long exotic fields of the castle and to a door near the back of the palace. The horses head to the door where few staff members wait in front of it.

"We can take the horses, your highnesses," one of the staff members bows followed by the others.

"Oh, sure," Wil replys. Wil and the pink-haired man hop off the horses and I follow.