MERCER - TWO YEARS (graphic)

Start from the beginning

"Brynjolf, I'm a big girl. I'll be fine. He probably won't even be there."

"Well, alright. But still, be careful."

Marina brushed him off as she made her to Riftweald Manor. She'd been living there for a few months, but knew that Mercer probably told Vald, his watchdog, to keep her out at all costs. She made her way to the back gate and stood. Marina never used the front door, as she didn't want any more rumors about her being spread. She watched as Vald made his way over to the gate and faced her with his arms crossed.

"Sorry, miss. Mercer said you aren't welcome anymore." 

A sharp pain in Marina's heart caused her to blink back any tears that threatened to escape.

"I figured. I need to get something of mine from inside. Not very fair to not let me at least get my stuff." Marina pouted and wrapped her hands around two bars on the gate. The girl was a master of sweet talking, and somehow always got her way. This was no exception.

Vald groaned and unlocked the gate, telling her that if anyone asks, he was never there. Marina thanked him before sneaking into the manor from Mercer's secret entrance. The man was a fool to think that Marina didn't already have the house memorized. She hurriedly pulled off the boots she was wearing and slipped on her boots from her Dark Brotherhood armor. She did not want to be heard, and knew that if Mercer was home, he'd be listening for her. So, she stayed crouched as she tiptoed through her own house, peeking around any corner with her sword in hand, just in case. 

She knew that Mercer's plans had to have been in his treasure room. He had only mentioned the place to her in a flirtatious way, saying that when the two were wed that's where she'd stay. She rolled her eyes and she slowly made her way down the stairs that led to the room. Marina knew there would be traps galore, considering the man had tight security all over the rest of house. Nothing she couldn't avoid. 

Marina finally reached the door that  led to the actual treasure room, and quickly cut the string that was wrapped around the doorknob. A poison arrow in the face didn't sound too appealing. Sword in hand, Marina slowly opened the wooden door. 

The room was empty. It looked as if Mercer hadn't been home that day, or possibly at all. Nothing seemed to have been taken or moved, and his desk stayed covered with papers and various books. 

Marina stepped over to his desk, and shuffled through the papers for anything that was useful. The papers were mainly receipts and letters from people who accused Mercer of scamming them. There were also a few books, mainly about improving thieving skills. Marina picked up another book and laughed aloud. The Lusty Argonian Maid, a popular erotic novel. 

"Gross." She tossed the book aside and picked up a large paper that was under it. 

This must have been what Brynjolf wanted. It was a detailed plan about some Dwarven ruin, and something about Eyes of Falmer. They looked expensive. Marina rolled the paper up and carefully slid it into her armor pocket. Noticing there were jewels and other treasures scattered around the room, Marina quickly took anything of value and turned to leave. She froze in place.

There Mercer stood, leaning against the door frame with his arms crossed and a smug look on his face. He looked the girl up and down before scoffing.

"It's rude to steal."

Marina stood in place and could almost feel her legs buckle under her. She tried to stand tall, but deep down she was afraid. Mercer looked angry. Angrier than he had ever been at Marina.