Protective.

Alison’s POV

“We’re on fucking bail guys. Excuse my language but we have to actually get off our asses and try to save ourselves.” I exclaimed, out of the blue while we were eating breakfast. The girls looked at me shocked, Hanna dropped her spoon in her bowl of cheerios. Emily placed her hand on my thigh and looked at me concerned before opening her mouth to speak.

“Ali…”

“Yes?”

“It’s going to be alright.”

I stood up suddenly, knocking down my chair. “We’ve been saying that for days now! Nothing is going to be alright… Everything we’ve tried has failed and I’m starting to think you all just want to give up. Our best friend, your ex, Emily and that new girl are now tormenting us. Ezra’s dead, Mona’s missing and we’re sitting here eating fucking cheerios, pretending everything is fine.” I shouted, tears filling up in my eyes. I put my hands over my face. “I can’t do this… I can’t sit here and do nothing.” I let myself drop to the floor and curl up in a ball. I felt arms wrap around me in an instant.

“Alison.” Emily whispered tenderly. My body was tense in her arms, she was trying to relax me but it just wasn’t working. I slowly pulled out of her grip and turned away from her. I heard her arms drop in defeat. I felt everyone’s eyes on me as I curled up on the ground, shaking but I refused to let anyone touch me. The cut on my neck throbbed as my throat burned. Emily placed her hands on my shoulders, trying hard to resists me trying to wiggle out of her grip again. She wrenched my hands away from my face and held them down, forcing me to look at her.

My cheeks were hot and wet with tears. Emily didn’t break eye contact as she let go of my hands. She brushed my hair out of my eyes and brought her hands down to cup my cheeks. “Breathe. Just breathe.” She said softly, her voice cracking at the end. I didn’t notice that she has shed a few tears as well.

“I-I,”

“Ssh… Ali, I know things are really shitty at the moment but you have to stay calm, okay? Things are tough for all of us and if one of us spiral, we all will. So, hang on… For me?” Emily smiled weakly and used her thumb to wipe away the tears from my cheeks. I nodded slowly and melted into her arms. I rested my head in the crook of her neck and breathed in deeply to put myself at ease. Spencer tapped my shoulder and offered me a glass of water. I felt a little shame for breaking down in front of the girls but I knew they wouldn’t be quick to judge, they’re the only friends I have after all.

I took the glass from Spencer and had a slight sip. Awkwardness filled the room since no one was quite sure what to say. I decided to clear the air. “W-we need to find Mona.” I croaked.

“Where should we even start looking?” Spencer asked.

“Maybe we should wait…”

“Emily, we need to do this.”

“I still don’t think it’s a good idea, Ali. What just happened to you really scared me and I don’t want it to happen again.”

“Emily! I’m fine, okay?” I snapped, feeling a little impatient. Emily’s face saddened and she stared down at the floor, biting her lip. I noticed her grip on me loosened and she shifted away from me. I placed my hand on her arm but she shook it off. “Em, I didn’t mean to shout like that. I’m sorry.” I begged. Emily shrugged and didn’t say anything.

Hanna cleared her throat to break the tension. “Like Spencer said, where do we start looking?”

I looked at Emily, she still looked pretty upset. I clenched my jaw. I know Emily doesn’t want me to do this but right now I think it’s just best that we end this shit with A and try to continue with our lives. “When I was kidnapped, Aria basically took me to her lair. I think I know where it is and it’s the only place I can think of that she would keep Mona in.”