Chapter 20- DNR papers

Tessa is asleep in my arms, Ken, Karen, Kimberly, and Christian all arrived, we are all I am looking down admiring her when I hear a knock at the door; It's the doctor. I slightly nudge Tessa to wake up. " We finally know what was wrong with your daughter, We will have to take her into open-heart surgery, and found what was wrong, She has Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome."Oh my god.

" What is that?" Tessa asks her voice laced with panic and concern. " I thought you guys already took her into the surgery? " I question" No we had to do an Echocardiography, I am deeply sorry for the mixup"

"To answer your question Ms.young Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome is a birth defect 'is a birth defect that affects normal blood flow through the heart. As the baby develops during pregnancy, the left side of the heart does not form correctly. Hypoplastic left heart syndrome is one type of congenital heart defect. Congenital means present at birth. Because a baby with this defect needs surgery or other procedures soon after birth'(CDC) We caught it right in time, the surgery we will perform is called the 'Norwood Procedure This surgery usually is done within the first 2 weeks of a baby's life. We will create a "new" aorta and connect it to the right ventricle. We will also place a tube from either the aorta or the right ventricle to the vessels supplying the lungs (pulmonary arteries). Thus, the right ventricle can pump blood to both the lungs and the rest of the body. This can be a very challenging surgery. After this procedure, an infant's skin still might look bluish because oxygen-rich and oxygen-poor blood still mix in the heart.'(CDC) She will be in the NICU for around 2 weeks. After this procedure, we will need more surgery's as she grows up; she won't have another surgery after the age of 5. Because she gets this surgery at such a young age, she should not have as many complications growing up, however, she may have some. "

wow, that was a lot of information thrown at us. I look over at Tessa who has tears in her eyes, She talks before I get the chance.

" How long would this procedure take, and what is the survival rate?" " The survival rate is around 85%, and It will take anywhere from 6-8 hours to complete. " Tessa looks up at me, and we nod,

" Okay is there any papers we need to fill out before she goes into the surgery? " I ask, I remember this part so distinctively, why you may ask Because my heart shattered. " Yes, -he hands me the paperwork- and one other form you will have to fill out is a DNR form. " It didn't click what he said until I hear Tessa's sob. " Okay," I say with no emotion.

" you are allowed to see her if you would like. " I nod

" I will get a nurse to come in here with a wheelchair for you Ms.Young. " She nods. He walks out of the room to get the wheelchair.

He comes back with a nurse, who helps Tessa in the wheelchair. As we are all walking we get informed two at a time. Tessa and I walk in first. The second we walk in, we see small babies with wires and tubes connected to them. We finally get to my baby girl. " Can we take photos?" I ask. The nurse who brought us in nods.

I admire Tessa and I's creation. We walk out, and Kim and Christian walk in. Then ken, and Karen. We walk back to our room, We look at all the pictures we have of her. I decided to post the picture I have of my baby girl. A nurse walks in to inform us they are taking her up to surgery. I have never been more scared in my life.