oO Chapter 17 Oo

For a while, the ride outside the walls had been relatively peaceful and it was starting to get on my nerves. I mean, obviously, there was the occasional titan here and there, but since I was in the centre of the formation with Squad Levi, we didn't really get to see any of the action. We had to fire off flares every now and then, but there wasn't anything serious. 

Waiting for the Female titan to show up was hell. Of course, I didn't want her to wreck everything, but I also didn't like waiting. As promised, Annie was under strict watch, so maybe she wouldn't show up, but still. If the Colossal titan made an appearance while Bertholdt was near me, then it isn't far fetched that the Female titan would do the same thing.

"How long have we been out here?" I asked, starting to get impatient. 

"...Like, fifteen minutes." Taara replied.

"That's it?!" I exclaimed. "It feels like it's been hours!"

"As always, you have no patience, I see." Taara laughed.

"I have patience, thank you very much." I muttered. "I just want to get this over with."

"It's your first expedition." Petra frowned. "Aren't you at least a little bit excited?"

"It's not that I'm not excited," I sighed. "It's just that I feel like something's about to go wrong."

"Don't jinx us, (y/n)." Taara smiled.

"I'm surprised you're not worried as well." I said under my breath. Taara sent me a look like 'stop it', confirming that she was worried as well, but better at masking it than I am. That made sense, honestly. Taara's always been more logical and level-headed than me.

"I'VE GOT A MESSAGE!" 

I turned as best I could on horseback, to see a soldier from another squad approaching us urgently. Maybe it's something else. Maybe it's not the Female titan.

"THE RIGHT FLANK ENEMY SCOUTS HAVE BEEN DEVASTATED! THE RIGHT FLANK IS NOW BLIND TO ENEMY MOVEMENT! PLEASE PASS THE MESSAGE ONTO THE SQUADS ON YOUR LEFT!"

I frowned, realising that the Female titan was here, and people were already dead. I exchanged a look with Taara, who had seemingly abandoned the calm, cheery facade and now looked worried.

"You heard the man, Petra." Levi said, in a manner way too calm for this situation. "Move out."

"Yes, sir!"

"Black flares?!" Eren exclaimed. "There's an abnormal?!"

Much to no one's surprise, he was right, and there were black flares coming up from the patch of trees to our right.

"Looks like you two girls were right..." Levi said under his breath. "Eren, you fire it off."

"Yes, sir!"

oO timeskip Oo

"Captain! Captain Levi!" Eren called out.

"...What?" Levi replied, sounding disinterested. 

"'What?'" Eren echoed. "Sir, we're in the forest! With just the central column here, we can't detect approaching titans! And something's coming on our right flank...Sir, how are we supposed to avoid the titans and protect the wagons?"

"Stop whining about the obvious." Levi said. "Of course we can't do any of that."

"H-huh?! Wh-what are you saying...?" 

"Look around you. These big ass trees are the perfect environment for ODM gear." Levi said. "Now think. Use the modest intellect you do possess. Think hard. Your life depends on it."