021.

021. pretty nymphs ?? redemption ??

BARBIE HAD never really had a fear of drowning. but she was getting pretty scared when the basin began to fill at an alarming rate. they all began to push and knock on the walls, looking for an exist- a hidden route that perhaps might let them escape, but there was nothing. all of them climbed into the alcoves, trying to gain some height, but with water pouring out of every single niche, it was like trying to balance at the edge of a waterfall. even as barbie stood in a niche, the water was soon rising up to her knees.

"i could try lightning," jason said, "maybe blast a hole in the roof? or barb could try use the mist>"

"that could bring down the whole room and crush us," piper said.

"or electrocute us," percy added.

"not many choices," jason said.

"uh- hate to break it to you guys but it's rising faster," barbie spoke, "what are we meant to do?"

"let me search the bottom," percy said quickly, "if this place was built as a fountain, there has to be a way to drain the thing. you guys, check the niches for secret exits. maybe the seashells are knobs, or something."

it was a desperate idea, but barbie was glad for something to do. percy jumped in the water. barbie, jason and piper climbed from niche to niche, kicking and pounding, wiggling seashells embedded in the stone; but they had no luck.

sooner than barbie expected, percy broke the surface, gasping and flailing. she offered her hand, and he almost pulled her in before she could help him up.

"couldn't breathe," he choked. "the water...not normal. hardly made it back."

"they're taking our power," piper said. "draining us."

"jason," percy coughed, "do the lightning."

jason raised his sword.

the room rumbled, but no lightning appeared. the roof didn't break. instead, a miniature rainstorm formed at the top of the chamber. rain poured down, filling the fountain even faster, but it wasn't normal rain. the stuff was just as dark as the water in the pool. every drop stung barbie's skin.

"not what i wanted," jason said.

the water was up to their necks now, and barbie could feel her strength fading.

"we'll survive," piper murmured to herself, but she couldn't charmspeak her way out of this.

soon the poisonous water would be over their heads. they'd have to swim, and this stuff was already paralyzing them. they would drown.

percy started pushing the water away with the back of his hand, like he was shooing a bad dog. "can't— can't control it!"

"we can't fight this," piper said loudly so they could all hear her. "if we hold back, that just makes us weaker."

"what do you mean?" jason shouted over the rain.

the water was up to their chins. another few inches, and they'd have to swim. but the water wasn't halfway to the ceiling yet.

"pipes, we'd appreciate it if you just told us what you were talking about instead of being poetic!" barbie added.

"the horn of plenty," piper said. "we have to overwhelm the nymphs with fresh water, give them more than they can use. if we can dilute this poisonous stuff—"