Chapter 33

Meredith was having a rough few weeks. It had been a week and a half since Thatchers other daughter had been admitted for her pregnancy, and he would not stop trying to talk to her.

Meredith was just minding her own business doing some charting when Thatcher came out of Molly's room, yelling for help. Meredith hesitated for a moment before her doctor instincts tapped in and she ran into the room.

Meredith immediately noticed the older woman on the ground and the panicked faces on the two younger women, who were Merediths half sisters. She bent down and felt for the woman's pulse. It was there, but it was very faint. "Go press that blue button." Meredith ordered thatcher. He did so and nurses came running in.

"Get me a gurney!" Meredith yelled. "Has she been sick or had any recent surgeries?" Meredith asked calmly as they transported the woman on to the gurney. "She-she had the hiccups the other day and had a minor procedure done. Something endoscopic gas." Thatcher stammered.

Alarm bells rang in Merediths head. "Post op infection, possible perforation. We need to get her into the OR stat!" Meredith called out. Bailey was behind her, listening the whole time. They jogged across the hospital and into the first available OR. "No pulse! We're losing her!" Meredith yelled. They got into the OR and quickly started compressions. "Charge to 200! Clear!" Bailey called as they shocked the woman's lifeless body.

They shocked the patient 4 more times, resulting in nothing. "Call it." Bailey said. Meredith sighed. "Time of death 4:28." She said quietly as she exited the or and scrubbed out. "You sure you want to tell them?" Bailey asked, knowing the estranged relationship. "She was technically my patient." Meredith replied. Bailey nodded and followed her out.

She took a deep breath before entering the room again, looking at the hopeful faces on their faces. "It was an infection. It caused a perforation and she turned toxic. I'm so sorry." Meredith said as professionally as she could.

Thatchers hands immediately went up to his head in shock, and his daughters immediately started crying. "She-shes dead?" Thatcher whispered. Meredith nodded. "There was nothing we could do. It was too late." She replied. "You-you killed my wife! Your a murderer!" Thatcher yelled as he raised his hand and slapped Meredith right across the face.

She brought her hand up in shock and gently held her cheek. "You aren't my daughter, I should have never tried to get to know you! Your a horrible doctor and a horrible person, just like your mother. You'll never be anytning!" Thatcher screamed.

Meredith numbly walked outside of the room, aware that the whole hosptial just heard and saw what happened. "Grey-" Bailey started after witnessing the whole ordeal. Meredith ignored her and walked on until she found an empty room.

Meredith slid down the wall and started sobbing, in emotional, and slightly physical pain. Her cheek stung and was already starting to bruise.

Derek watched the ordeal in shock. Derek ran up to thatcher and grabbed him by the collar, slamming him up against the wall. "You touch her again and I'll kill you, you hear me!" Derek yelled. Richard pulled Derek off of him and he stormed off to find his wife.

Dereks heart broke when he heard the hard cries down the hallway and ran in to the on call room. He immediately took her in his arms and rocked her gently. "You're okay. I got you. You're okay." He murmured softly as she cried. "I-I." Meredith stammered. "I know. I know. You're okay, I'm here." He whispered.

When Meredith calmed down enough, Derek brought her home. She was silent through the whole drive home and ran right to their bedroom when they got home. "Mer-" "I'm fine Derek." Meredith said emotionless. "Meredith." Derek sighed. "Seriously, I'm fine." She repeated. Derek took this as a cue and left her alone.

He sat down on the couch when he got a call. "Derek, what the hell happened? We heard." Addison asked through the phone. "I guess her fathers wife collapsed and mereditj tried to help but it was too late. He was mad at her. He-he hit her." Derek said angrily. "He what?" Mark asked in shock. "He slapped her. Right across the face." Derek replied.

"And where is she now?" Addison asked. "In bed. She hasn't talked. She practically kicked me out." Derek said worriedly. "She's Mer. She needs some time to process." Addison replied. "She doesn't deserve to be treated that way. Ever." Derek said firmly. "It wasn't your fault, Derek. She was just doing her job." Mark replied. "I know, but I should've been there." He said.

"It wasn't your fault." Addison said. "We gotta go Derek, we'll check in later." Mark said before ending the call. Derek put his phone down but then got another call. Annoyed, he answers. "Shepherd, hows Grey?" Bailey asked worriedly. "She's in bed, not talking to me." Derek replied with a sigh.

"Her father had to be restrained. His daughters are grieving and scared". Bailey said. "They should be." Derek said plainly. "Listen, I just wanted to check in on Grey. Let me know how she's doing." Bailey said. "I will. Thanks." Derek sighed.

Derek walked up to their bedroom tentatively and opened the door, finding her in the same position he left her, fast asleep. He crawled in behind her and wrapped his arms around her. "You can talk to me when your ready. I know you're not fine and that's okay. Just talk to me when your ready. I love you." He whispered.

Hey guys!! Hope you enjoyed this chapter!! If you have any ideas feel free to drop them!! Hope you guys are doing well!!