Chapter 28

January 22nd. Today was dereks 28th birthday. Meredith got up early at 530 and hurried downstairs. She quietly got some pancake mix out, dereks favorite breakfast when he didn't eat muesli every morning as a health nut.

She turned the stove on and sprayed the pan before mixing together the premade pancake mix and pouring it one by one in a circle form.

Checking the time, it was now 545, and Derek would be up any minute now. She put the pancakes on a plate and drizzled them in light syrup, judt the way Derek liked it and set it on the counter.

"Good morning." Derek said, as he came downstairs. "Morning birthday boy." She said as she apporchaed him and wrapped her arms around him. He did the same and inhaled, smelling her lavender scented hair, and a hint of pancakes. He pulled away slightly and smiled as he noticed the pancake plate on the counter of their new house. "You cooked for me?" Derek asked with a smile.

"Yeah." Meredith said as she pressed her lips against his passionately. "Happy birthday." She said as she rested her head on his chest. "Thank you." Derek said. He kissed her head and put his hand on her back and led her to the kitchen table and sat down.

"Mer! These are amazing!" Derek exclaimed as he dug in. "I had your mom send me her recipe." She said with a small laugh.

They finished their breakfast and got ready for work. "Do you want your present before or after work?" Meredith asked. "Doesn't matter to me. You didn't have to get anything." Derek said as he pulled on his scrub top. "Yes I did. I'll give it to you now. Maybe you can use it today." Meredith said as she pulled out two bags, one small, one slightly bigger.

"This one first." She said as she handed him the smaller bag. Derek opened the bag and smiled when he saw a ferryboat scrub cap. "I have a thing for ferryboats." He said with a smirk. "I love it. Thank you Mer." Derek said as he gave her a hug. "And now this one." She said. Derek grabbed the slightly bigger bag and opened it, revealing a bottle of scotch and an envelope.

"Wow! I love it Mer!" Derek said as he picked up the scotch. It was a rare, expensive bottle that she picked up one day. "Open the envelope." She said softly. He did so and his jaw dropped when he saw 2 World Series tickets to the Seattle Mariners game. "How did you-" Derek asked. "I have my ways." Meredith said with a smile. "You're amazing." He said as he gave her a big hug. Derek loved baseball.

"I figured you could bring Mark or someone." She said. "You should come with me." Derek said. "If yoy want me over Mark I'll come." She replied. "I'd prefer you over Mark any day. Thank you Mer. I love it all." He said as he kissed her. "You're welcome. Now let's get to work." She said.

They got to work around 630 and they were on the same service, much to their surprise. They met up with Bailey and prepped the patient. "Grey, you want in?" Bailey asked. Derek had gone off to fetch himself a drink. "Give it to Derek." Meredith replied. "Why don't you want it?" Bailey asked suspiciously. "It's his birthday. It'll make him happy." Meredith said. Baileys face softened. "Okay. You can do some charting and watch the surgery then." Bailey replied.

Meredith nodded and went off.

"Mer! I'm scrubbing with Bailey!" Derek exclaimed
Happily as he came up. "Reallt? That's great!" Meredith replied, acting as if she hadn't already know. "Do you want it? I can ask Bailey-" Derek started. "No. You take it. I'll watch from the gallery." She cut in. Derek nodded. "I gotta go. I love you." He said as he kissed her. "I love you too." She said happily as he ran away to his surgery.

Meredith watched from above as Derek entered the OR, sporting his new ferry boat scrub cap. "Nice cap Dr Shepherd. Where'd you get it?" Bailey asked with a knowing smile through her mask. "My wife." He said as he looked up at Meredith. She smiled. "Make the first cut. Happy birthday Shepherd." Bailey offered. Derek was in shock for a moment, but took the scalpel and flawlessly cut.

In the OR, Derek had never felt happier at the time. Bailey was letting him do most of the procedure, and he was truly in his element. Knowing that Meredith was watching him made him happy. The scrub cap he wore made him feel confident, too. "You like ferryboats Shepherd?" Bailey asked.

"I have a thing for them." He replied with a smirk. "Be thankful for your wife. That girl loves you more than anything." She said quietly so that the intercom could not hear them. "I am. I love her more than anything too." He said.

After the surgery, Derek scrubbed out, leaving his scrub cap on for the hell of it. "That was great." Meredith said as she came up and hugged him. "I know you have it up for me. You didn't have to do that." He said into her hair. "It's your birthday." She offered as an explanation. "I love you so much." He said. "I love you too." She replied.

At home, Meredith ordered dereks favorite Italian food and they ate it together.

That night, Meredith gave him his other birthday gift.

Hey guys!!
Hope you enjoyed this chapter and hope your all doing well!!