"Can we talk? You know about-"

"Sure. Give me a second," She stopped him before he said something he would regret. After Jeff excused her for a break, they left the hut and started off walking toward the forest. For a few moments, they walked in silence, neither one of them knowing what to say.

"So, you think it's better we don't tell them then?" Thomas questioned finally. Mae sucked in a breath, biting her lip as she choose her words carefully.

"Honestly, I don't know. But it's not like we can go back now, it's too late. I think they might have freaked out if they knew though," The girl answered, shoving her hands in the pockets of her tan cargo pants. She had finally gotten a new change of clothes, after her and Newt went digging into some of the extra supplies.

"I remember her, somewhat." Thomas spoke, shifting his gaze from the ground to the tree tops, the sun peaking down on them from between the leaves. "Just the little things,"

"Me too. Guess we had a normal sister type of relationship," Mae recounted, thinking to the disagreement they had about whatever the hell had been on those screens.

"We need to get out of here. Everyone does," Thomas said firmly. Mae glanced at him, her heart aching at his broken expression. She knew he felt like the burden was placed on him, that it was up to him to find the way out. And with Alby hurt, and the box staying put, it would have to be soon.

"We'll find a way," She chirped, trying to pluck up some confidence in him. He seemed to ignore it, not making eye contact with her.

"Me and Minho and a few others are going to go back in the Maze, find that dead Griever. We think if we inspect it we could find something that can help us, anything." He explained his plan, his jaw slightly clenched as he spoke.

"Sounds like a good plan. You better be careful though," Mae looked at him with a soft smile. She realized that they had made their way to a hut in the middle of the woods. It was small, and low to the ground, that didn't look too inviting. As they continued toward it, she noticed a group of boys standing outside. Minho, Zart, Frypan and Winston all had a mixture of anxiety and determination on their faces. Minho nodded to Thomas, his arms crossed (as per usual) over his chest. But when he noticed Mae walking along side him, his expression turned disapproving.

"What's she doing here?" He sassed. Thomas looked between them and placed his hand on the back of his neck uncomfortably.

"I wanted to talk to her before we left," He explained, the volume of his voice lowered considerably.

Man, he acts like a total wuss around Minho, Mae thought to herself, trying not to snicker.

"Well she's not coming," The Keeper quipped.

"Wasn't planning on it." Mae retorted, matching his attitude. He glared at her for a moment before turning his attention back to Thomas.

"Well? What are you waiting for. Let's go," Minho announced, herding the small group of boys toward the Glade.

"And hey! Greenie!" He called back at the girl, who was now standing by herself next to the hut. "Don't even think about goin' in that Map room!"

Mae rolled her eyes as he turned back toward the exit of the forest.

So damn full of himself.

__

After having made her way back to the Med-jack hut, she worked for a few hours. There wasn't much for her to do seeing as no one needed medical attention, so Clint and Jeff sent her off to work with Newt in the gardens for a little bit.

However, commotion grew when Gally realized Thomas and the others had gone into the maze, and he'd thrown a fit. Mae was praying that they'd make it back soon, so they could simmer him down and come to some sort of consensus.

She finally spotted the boys jogging back through the doors, and ran to meet them at the entrance to the Glade. She slowed to a walk, just as they did, and panted slightly as she tucked her dark hair behind her ear.

"Guys, Gally knows you left." Minho and Thomas shared a look. "He's not happy. I think he's in the Homestead," She informed them, happy to finally have contributed to the cause. Thomas placed a hand on her shoulder, holding up a strange object she didn't recognize. She opened her mouth to ask about it, but Minho cut her off.

"No time for questions, Greenie. Gotta go answer to Captain Gally," He mocked. Once again he led the group toward the Homestead, leaving Mae with her eyes narrowed in frustration.

Chapter eleven! Wow why we moving so fast- anyways, sorry if the slow burn bothers you, I love it and I thinks it helps character development. So excited for chapters to come :) Please vote/comment if you feel like it!