FOURTEEN

If the desire to kill
and the opportunity to kill
came always together, who would escape hanging?
~ Mark Twain

LAUREN

"You destroyed my underwear" she hissed at me as she put her white shoes back on.

Straightening my tie, I tried not to smile, but I couldn't help it. "Next time, don't wear any at all and we won't t have this problem."

My beautiful wife stalked up to me, slowly glaring at me with daggers in her eyes, and yet, it only made me want her more. I wanted to reach out and touch
her.

What the fuck is wrong with me?

No matter how many times I had her, it only made me want her even more.

"I  don't have a problem with that,"she said, glaring. "I'm not the one who has to sit through dinner thinking about how I have nothing under this dress,
about how you could easily slip your hand underneath it and reach in me. But I think I will sit opposite you tonight."

She backed away so quickly it felt like I'd been awakened with cold water from the loss of her warmth. That, and the fact that all the blood in my body was rushing to another part of my anatomy.

Damn her.

"You're going to sit next to me," I demanded as she walked toward the door and, my eyes went straight to her ass.

"No, I'm not. I would rather shoot you, but since I cant, I will sexually frustrate you instead. Do not rip my clothing," she snapped, leaving me aching
for her.

"Bitch is going to kill me," I muttered, trying my best to calm myself down.

Staring at the file on the desk, I wanted nothing more than to destroy Vance now. I wanted to stare into his eyes as I lit his world on fire. However, I would wait. First I . . . we needed to fix the idiots under us.

The moment I stepped out of the study, Veronica was already waiting.

"How long have you been out here?"

She smirked. "Long enough. I apologize because I would have waited, had I realized. She told me to calm down, it was just fucking sex. That woman scares and bewilders me all at the same time."

Just fucking sex

I frowned. "Try being married to her. One minute she kisses you and the next she has a letter opener to your throat."

Veronica's eyes widened at me before she broke out laughing. "One day she may just kill you Lauren, I swear it."

"One day, she just may." I sighed. Truthfully, I wasn't even sure if she liked me for any other reason than the fact that we were married. I was just sex to
her, and it shouldn't have bothered me as much as it did, but I couldn't shake the feeling that she wasnt going to change . . . that she would never care.

"So, Im guessing you both handled the Superintendent? Or is there something I can do?"  she asked, right as we stopped outside the door. I could see it in her eyes. Her own bloodlust.

Veronica wasn't as much of a killer as Chris or myself. She had always been, and would always be, the woman behind the computer, where I needed her to be. But when it came to the police, Veronica wanted blood. It was, after all, an officer who
had taken both her parents. She hated them and the code they lived by.

"If things get messy, you can personally clean it up, Veronica," I answered. "But until then, just keep a watch on our Superintendent. If he buys a home near anything Jauregui, let me know."