Ch 43

As my daughter got closer to being fifteen years old the friends she made surprised me. Three of them had been travelers; Minnie Otanyo, the first girl my darling Grisam looked at twice, nine years older than him, was a selfish person - self-serving to the bone. That attitude of hers was of great use to the family, and we were better off for having it used to the service of our family than against; Raphaella Vilar was a beauty of fair skin and luscious black hair, cold and uncaring towards those who weren't her friends but pretty okay with Dana; and Isabella Endor, a happy, unconcerned woman a decade and a bit younger than me, that eventually kept traveling on her own, not wanting to settle down yet.

Of course she had regular contact with her many cousins and she practically had a hand at raising Amethyst from the craddle. A couple of friends from the school, Sonya Green, the representative of her class, and Florence Gauss, of a secondary branch of that miner family.

She was good friends with Zidane, the Wilson Heir, but also counted with the friendship of Homer Froude, the Froude Heir. He was a bit shorter than her, with round, rossy cheeks and thick eyebrows framing half-lidded eyes coloured with clear sky blue, all of it surrounded by long tresses of bright orange hair. He was sweet, a bit of a crybaby and slightly pudgey-looking, and had a good heart.

He and Angelino Fellmer were two guys I hadn't expected my daughter to befriend. The later one was the second son of one of my coworkers, Simon Fellmer of the Line of Swinton of the deceased Line of Sumaisa.

Sometimes I still wonder how did she attract so many people with such lonely personalities and was also able to befriend them. Then I wonder if it's not a mix between her own characteristics and the training she received from me.