Chapter 18. The Wolf God

Start from the beginning

Tara took it with wide eyes and stared down at it in amazement. Her mother was beautiful. Her skin was like dark chocolate. She was slim with long black hair. Her eyes sparkled with laughter and her smile lit up the photo. She looked so happy.

"What was she like?" Tara asked.

"Graceful, beautiful, fiery spirit, stubborn as hell," Nodin laughed. "Your mother was not from San Francisco, she had traveled from the woods of Mississippi. The wolf people let her stay here, although she was an outsider. They didn't have much to do with her; they thought it was strange to see an African-American female wolf. I met her while I was living in the woods". Tara listened to him so wrapped up in his story that she had forgotten about Kane and Kendrick.

The two red headed men with the same green eyes and almost the same face stared into the woods. Kane was the first to speak. "They will die today if they choose to attack us now."

Kendrick growled in warning at the wolves watching them from behind the trees. He watched the wolf tribe come out of the woods, some were still in their wolf forms, and others had changed to human form. The men were muscular and tall with only a loin cloth tied around their waist. They were bare foot as they walked the ground moving closer to Kane and Kendrick.

Kane let out a low warning growl that stopped them from getting too close. "Why are you on my territory?" He demanded to know, his voice deep and booming through the forest.

A few of the wolf people shrunk back. Some of the wolves whimpered. They all turned to the leader of the pack, their Alpha. He was a tall man with dark tan skinned and long black hair. His eyes were narrow giving him a sinister look.

"We have been watching you and your mate, Kane. She is not one of us."

Kane raised an eyebrow, but said nothing.

"She does not belong here," the Alpha spoke.

"Tara is my mate. This is my home. She stays with me," Kane said with a deadly calm.

"Then, you cannot live here," the Alpha crossed his arms and stared challengingly at Kane.

"We are not going anywhere, perhaps you and your pack should move if you don't like our presence here."

The Alpha turned to Kendrick. "You should talk sense into your brother. The woman that lives with him is an abomination to the wolf people."

Kendrick shook his head. "I appreciate you welcoming me into your pack in the past, but I cannot let you speak of Tara as an abomination. You don't even know her. If you try to harm Tara, our life mate, in anyway, we will kill all of you so why don't you just walk away right now before we get really angry." He'd spoken the words calmly, but the threat behind them was very real.

Kane could feel Kendrick's anger towards the wolf people. He was still furious about what happened to Tara the other night, along with the time one of the wolf people had tried to attack Tara when she was still human. He wanted to avenge her in any way possible.

The wolf people suddenly began to sniff the air and become restless. The Alpha turned his attention elsewhere. Kane frowned and turned quickly as the air suddenly filled with Tara's scent. She was standing in the doorway watching them quietly; her brown eyes filled with shock and amazement at seeing the wolf people for the first time.

Tara had left her father's side before he could stop her. Kane and Kendrick could not hide their emotions from her and she could smell the wolf people surrounding their home. Her curiosity had gotten the best of her.

"Tara, step away from the door," her father told her.

"Tara! Close the door! "Kendrick snapped at her, but it was too late. The alpha moved at lightning speed as Kendrick yelled at Tara and snatched her from the doorway. He appeared in front of his pack again holding Tara prisoner against him with one arm around her waist. The other arm was free to hold a knife at her throat.