Chapter 13. Alpha's Mate

Kane couldn't understand for the life of him why Tara wanted to go back to work. She should have stayed home and rested after the night they had, but she had insisted almost with a desperate tone that she return to work the next day. He'd given in because he couldn't resist her. It almost seemed as if she was trying to run away from him. He watched her rub her back after shelving a pile of files. He knew it wasn't the files that were causing her muscles to become sore. She glanced at him. A slow arrogant and possessive smile spread across his face.

Tara turned away quickly, her face turning completely red for two reasons. One, he had managed to turn her into a sex maniac overnight and even now her body craved him. Two, she wanted to slap that arrogant smile off his face. He had proved himself to be right last night, there was definitely nothing wimpy about Kane.

She went back to work trying not to think of the most passionate night she'd ever had in her life. She thought she knew all about sex and love making even though she'd only been with two guys in her entire life, one in college and the other one was Ross.

"Does your body hurt, my life?" Kane's voice suddenly said. She turned around thinking he was behind her and saw him standing across the room watching her.

She dropped the files on her toe, but barely felt it.

"Be careful, you're getting distracted from your work," Kane voice teased in her head.

"What the hell?!" Tara yelled out loud.

People stopped what they were doing to stare at her. She blushed and began to work again. "Why didn't you tell me this would happen? First Kendrick, now you! How are you doing this? You wasn't able to do this before...wait, Kendrick bit me and you bit me after our...oh my god!" Tara communicated back with him using the telepathy she'd grown use to with Kendrick.

"How nice, now we're all connected like one big family," she heard Kendrick's amused voice in her head. He had been unusually quiet until now.

She put down the files and walked away. Kane watched her go into the women's restroom as if that could keep him from reading her thoughts. He laughed.

Tara stared at herself under the glowing light bulbs above the mirror. She looked so different now. She knew people noticed because they stared at her for long periods of time as if trying to figure out what had changed.

Everything had changed.

The way she carried herself, the way she spoke, the quiet danger lurking in her eyes was just some of the changes. Her skin glowed vibrantly and her hair looked like she'd just stepped out of the most expensive salon in town. She ran her fingers through it admiring the healthy luminous glow it gave off.

For the first time in her life, she considered herself beautiful and sexy and she felt it too, even Kendrick had noticed the change from the way he couldn't seem to take his eyes off of her all day. He had smiled at her and spoke, but kept his distance. Tara wondered if it was a wolf thing since she and Kane were newly mated.

One thing was for sure, she had never had so much confidence about herself until now. Was this the perks of becoming a wolf? Kane and Kendrick had no problems with confidence, it was completely natural to them and it was one of the things that attracted women to them, including herself. However, Kane's confident was dark and dangerous, which gave him a mysterious, sexiness that some women couldn't resist, but was too scared to explore and Kendrick was a vicious wolf hiding behind the body of a very charming, friendly man who people flocked too, but had no clue just how dangerous he was, like lambs to a wolf in sheep clothing. She shivered. She really didn't know which of her wolves was worse. Wait did she just say "her wolves"? That was new...