Chapter 11. The Transition

Kane had taken Tara to his home. Five hours had passed and she remained unconscious. Kane and Kendrick hovered over her bed at different times of the day staring down at her lifeless body anxiously.

"She's changing; her scent is becoming wolf-like and blending together with her human side," Kane said.

"I hope she wakes up soon, as long as she's unconscious I cannot connect with her, and even though she's lying right in front of me, it's killing me that I can't feel the bond between us," Kendrick paced the room, irritable, moody...

"Do you not think I suffer also?" Kane asked him. "To see her lying here like this, as if she's..."

"Don't you dare say it," Kendrick warned him. "I would rip anything and everything to pieces if you so much as hint at what you're about to say."

Kane tilted his head at his twin. "This behavior you display is very out of character for you, I can only imagine what it would be like when I complete the connection between us."

Kendrick gave him a dark smile. "You would be a death threat to every living creature that gets within a foot of her," he joked. "When you told me what happened I could barely believe it, our Tara is half wolf. It explains a lot." Kendrick suddenly eyed Kane closely. "You've changed too. There's something I sense that's different about you."

Kane nodded. "I think my father unleashed something in me when he performed that ritual. There's a voice in my head that is not my own. It tells me I am not who I think I am. This other thing has been dormant for my entire life and now it's awakened. I can feel it when it speaks to me; it's more powerful and more aggressive than I am. "

"More powerful and aggressive than you? Is that even possible? And, if you can feel it, why can't I?" Kendrick asked.

"I don't know," Kane said quietly. "Perhaps father needs to perform the same ritual on you."

"Hell no," Kendrick shook his head. "I'm not down with the magic. I'm fine just the way I am. This thing could be somehow related to our past." He let out a frustrated growl and ran his fingers through his hair. "We know nothing of our past. Nothing! If only there was a small clue...anything."

"Maybe it can tell us," Kane said with a hint of hope in his voice.

"Or maybe you're just plain schizophrenic," Kendrick raised an eyebrow at him.

Kane turned his attention back to Tara and traced a finger over her cheek. "Her body is going through so many changes; her bone structure is more prominent, sharper..."

"Kane shouldn't you take her back to her own place so when she wakes up she'd be surrounded by things familiar to her? It's going to be hard enough to deal with her transformation without wondering where she's at," Kendrick suggested.

"No, she will never return there again. This is her new home," Kane declared.

"Oh boy," Kendrick replied, knowing Tara wasn't going to like that. "I want to be here when she awakens, but I think you deserve some alone time with her with everything you've gone through to be with her."

"When she awakens, I will mate her with her," Kane told him.

Kendrick's hands rolled into fists, but he stood his ground. "I know..." he said between gnashed teeth. "You deserve to be the first to be with her. It doesn't make it any easier for me to accept. Will it always be like this...this jealousy, possessiveness between us concerning her?"

"Wolves do not share their life mates, it is unheard of, it is only a natural reaction we feel because of that, but now that we both know without a doubt that Tara belongs to both of us, we will have to work together to care for her, especially in helping her go through this difficult transformation. We have to set aside our feelings of possessiveness and jealousy for our life mate," Kane turned around to glare at Kendrick, "even as I speak these words of truth, I still want to kick your ass."