Chapter 5. The Wolf

Because of the incident, no one had to come into work the next day. Tara was grateful to have a day off, it gave her time to go grocery shopping with the money her mysterious admirer had given her. She thought about her mystery person as she walked around the aisle of the grocery store. A vision of Kane popped up in her head and she blushed. It couldn't be him...could it?

Last night she could have sworn someone was standing over her bed watching her while she slept, but when she opened her eyes, no one was there. However, there was an impression that her sixth sense picked up on, a very strong and overwhelming impression that could only be associated with one person...Kane.

He was slowly becoming an obsession to her and she didn't know if what she was experiencing was real or her imagination conjuring him up because she was lonely. Her grocery basket bumped into someone while she was deep in thought. She looked up quickly to apologize and gasped when she saw Kendrick standing there smiling at her.

"Tara, what are you doing here?" he asked in a perfectly innocent voice.

Tara stared at him in shock. If Kendrick was here, did it mean his brother was too? One thing was for sure, those two always came in pairs ever since Kane had returned from his vacation. "I...I..." she started to say.

"You know I come to this grocery store all the time and have never seen you until today," Kendrick told her.

"Well, I don't do a lot of grocery shopping," she said sighing a little out of relief. For a moment, she thought maybe she was being stalked. Then again, San Francisco was like New York, you could run into the same people over and over no matter where you went.

Still...she remembered the strange answer Kendrick had given her when she 'd asked if Kane was there when Andrew was coming on to her. "When has he not been there ever since you've met him?" Kendrick had asked her. And sure enough, Kane walked around the aisle. He looked totally out of place in the grocery store because of his size and the wild look he had going on for him. Most of the women quickly got out of his way and yet couldn't help but stare at him. She understood their plight, he had that effect on her as well, that dangerous vibe he gave off that tended to scare people away yet draw them to him at the same time.

He looked at her and then at the grocery cart, frowning at all the vegetables he saw. "What is this?"

"Are you a vegetarian?" Kendrick asked as if the word left a bad taste in his mouth.

"No..." Tara said watching Kane grab her basket.

"You need meat..." he mumbled.

"Wait...what the..." Tara went after him. She heard Kendrick snicker and turned to look at him. He followed alongside her as if nothing out of the ordinary was happening. "What is he doing?"

"Apparently, he's getting you some meat," Kendrick said casually.

Tara watched as Kane went to the meat section and began to load her basket full of raw red meat, the bloodier it looked, the more he got. "Wait, I don't eat that much meat!" she told him. He shot her a warning look that made her be quiet. She turned to Kendrick for help. "What's with him?"

"I believe my brother has a slight crush on you and have taken you under his wing..." Kendrick told her with a smile.

Kane flashed Kendrick an irritated look when he said "slight crush". What a thing to tell his life mate.

Kendrick spoke in his mind. "I am trying to be as cautious with her as possible and ease her into this, Kane, unlike you who have already started with the responsibilities of taking care of your mate. She doesn't even know she belongs to you, yet. Slow down..."