Chapter 2. Life Mate

Tara sat outside by herself during lunch. She sat on a bench at one of the many piers nearby and stared at the ocean. She took in a deep breath of the salty air and wrapped her arms around her knees drawing them to her chest. She was still freaked out by the events that happened earlier that morning.

She could always sense things. Her emphatic senses were very keen on picking up abnormal stuff. She couldn't explain it, but she had always been different and so weird things had always happened to her. She could have brushed this off as just another strange unexplainable event in her life, but she sensed this one was much more serious.

Her morning had started off as any normal day at the law firm. She was put to work as soon as she entered the building. She liked working there because she stayed busy and it made the time go by fast. And then something happened to interrupt her pleasant ordinary little world. She felt him before she saw him. A wave of intense loneliness and anger had slammed into her out of nowhere. She had ignored the feeling and continued to act normal.

Tara had learned a long time ago to hide her reactions whenever her empathy kicked in. She thought it was just a random lonely person passing by. However, the feelings stayed with her and only got worse. Finally, she looked up to see who was lingering close by and was surprise to see a White male with long dark auburn hair watching her so intensely. He stumbled backwards as if caught off guard when she suddenly turned to him and dropped his files. Feeling slightly amused by his reaction to her catching him watching her, she stopped what she was doing to help him, but Kendrick got in the way.

She realized that the young man who had been watching her had the same face as Kendrick. Kendrick had always been nice to her, but she had no idea he had a twin brother until he introduced him. His twin brother's personality was nothing like Kendrick's; she could feel something dangerous about Kane. It made her nerves tense.

No matter what she felt from people, she knew had to pretend everything was normal. She'd gotten very good at it until he shook her hand. Something had happened. It was as if a type of energy had rushed out of his body and taken over hers. The hairs on his arm had stood up and vibrated like the fur on the back of ferocious dog about to attack. When she looked into his green eyes, they had a strange glow in them, and a possessive, hungry look that frightened her. She had quickly snatched her hand away from him and took a step back, then excused herself telling them she'd forgotten to assist one of the lawyers with finding a file and walked away, forcing herself not to run.

Tara shivered. Kane was not human. She knew that in her heart. If Kane wasn't human then his brother, Kendrick wasn't either. She had always sensed something off about Kendrick, but never cared to explore deeper. She could have if she wanted to but chose not to. Sometimes being an empath took her into another world she did not want to confront. She was perfectly happy with thinking there were no such things as other beings. Now she realized Kendrick hid whatever he was very well, and Kane hadn't even tried. She was afraid. She didn't want to see either of them again. She knew she would have to go back after lunch, but perhaps she could avoid them.

Kane watched Tara from across the street. She looked so small and vulnerable huddled on the bench. He knew he had frightened her and wanted to kick himself for it. Usually, he took a twisted enjoyment out of scaring people, but not her. He didn't want her to be afraid of him. He wanted her to feel safe and secure with him, but that seemed impossible. How could a human woman ever feel safe around him? Unlike his brother, he hadn't mastered charming skills. He thought about the conversation he had with his brother after she had left.

Kendrick pulled Kane outside with him behind the building. "Are you insane?! What was that about?! You almost blew our cover! You were about to change right in front of her!"