Chapter 9. The Human Wolf

Warmth.

It was the first thought Tara had as she slowly awakened. She was very warm and so very comfortable. Her eyes opened to the rays of sunlight shining on her body through a window. She tried to move, but something stopped her. She blinked as her eyes adjusted to the light and focused on the object that had her pinned down, a white arm draped casually over her breasts. She gasped in surprise when she realized she was lying on her side and pulled tightly against a very muscular body. A long heavy leg draped over one of hers locking her in place. She raised her head slightly and saw the leg was bare and gulped. Whoever it was appeared to be naked!

Panic suddenly took over, what happened last night? She had a vague memory of gradually becoming engulfed in madness. She remembered someone stopping her and afterwards everything went black.

Who was holding her?

Instead of lying there pondering, she decided to get up. Slowly, as to not wake the stranger, she maneuvered the heavy arm from around her and carefully pushed the heavy leg off hers. She slid off the huge bed and stood up then turned around to face the man who had been holding her so possessively.

Long locks of auburn hair spread wildly over the pillows...Kendrick didn't have long hair.

For a moment, Tara forgot to breathe. Her heart began to beat excitedly. Why was she so happy to see him? Why did she feel so complete? It was as if a huge hole inside of her had finally been filled.

He looked like a red headed god laying there in a thin white t-shirt and blue jean shorts. His body was enormous, nothing but layers of muscles piled on top each other accompanied by a face that was surely sculpted to perfection just for her. If Tara ever had a dream guy, Kane would be it. She could barely believe he was back and lying with her so intimately. He was too good to be true, this perfect, hunk of specimen was hers? Couldn't be, it was all a cruel joke. And then, he opened those green eyes and she came crashing back to reality. He was back! Kane had returned. And the last time she saw him, he had wanted to get it on with her. She sure as hell was NOT ready for that!

Her first thought was to run! She moved away from him and her feet had barely touched the floor he grabbed her and she found herself back in bed with him. He'd pushed her flat on her back and pulled her into his arms to lay with her again.

"I'm not ready!" She screamed.

He gave her a confused look and then a look of amusement came over his handsome face when he finally understood. "Tara, if I was the same person I was back then, I would have made you mine last night. I left so I could come back to you and be with you as a human male with a human woman."

"Huh?" Tara asked looking up at him as if he'd lost his mind.

Kane smiled. "I don't want to mate with you. We have time to get to know each other. I want you to be comfortable with me, Tara." He ran his big warm hands down her bare arms admiring the color of her golden brown skin in the sunlight.

Tara squealed a little when he took a nosedive into her hair. His nose found the little nook that connected her neck to her shoulder and nestled there. She felt him breathe in deeply drinking in her scent.

Comfortable? He wanted her to be comfortable? Well how was she supposed to be comfortable with him draped over her like he owned her? Yet, deep down, her body shivered at his touch. She felt the urge to wrap her arms around his broad shoulders, well at least part of his shoulders since she doubt her arms could fit around him, and pull him down on top of her.

"I could drown in you," Kane whispered against her ear.

Her body reacted immediately. His deep sexy voice turned her on like no other man and sent tingles in secret places that weren't supposed to be responding to him. Fight it! She told herself. He could probably seduce her right here if she let him. What was it about him and his brother that caused her body to react so wantonly? She had never considered herself a sexual person until she met them. Confused and somewhat irritated over the changes they were taking her though, she pushed away from him so forcefully she ended up flying right over the edge of the bed.