Chapter 4. Mine

Tara stared at the envelope taped to the top of the door.

To Whom It May Concern was written on it.

She had opened the door in a hurry to catch the bus when it smacked her in her face. She looked around cautiously thinking it might be a joke after someone or something had destroyed her bike yesterday. Anyone could be hiding behind a tree or peeping out the windows of their house to see her reaction when she opened it. It was probably something gross or maybe it was that white powder stuff that killed people...if only she could think of the name...Anthrax...yeah that was it...or was it another name?

Kane stood behind a tree watching her impatiently. What was wrong with her? Why was she hesitating to open the damn envelope? He'd stuff a lot of money in there. He hoped she took it in the house before she opened it. No one needed to see her open the envelope outside.

Curiosity finally won over Tara's caution. She grabbed the envelope and slowly peeled it open, making sure to hold it away from her while she did it. What she saw made her grab what was in it and hold it up to the sunlight in pure disbelief. This could not be real!

Kane smacked his hand over his face in annoyance as he watched her wave the hundred dollars bills around for the entire world to see. Why would she do that?! He was beginning to see that Tara was not the most cautious person in the world even when she was trying to be.

Tara counted the money, a thousand dollars! A note fell out on the ground. She quickly picked it up and read it.

I'm sorry for the loss of your bike. Please accept this money as my apology. I know this is very confusing to you now, but one day I will explain everything. I would prefer you do not buy another bike. To ride such a dangerous thing, would not be good for you.

Tara looked around. Someone was watching her that was clear. Whoever it was, they didn't like her bike. She shivered. Who was it, a psycho stalker? It would be just her luck to attract a person like that. So, what did she do? Did she leave the money here, turn it in to the police, or buy the groceries she needed so badly? She was tired of starving. She had been living off sandwiches for almost two months. She stuffed the money back inside the envelope and ran into her house to put most of it in a safe place. Damn the consequences, at least she'd have food to eat.

Kane watch her come back out a few minutes later. The bus stop was only a few feet from her house. He smiled with approval as she got on. Turning back into the bird he became yesterday; he flew over the bridge following the bus and using the fog to cover his appearance.

The buses in San Francisco and the ones that took her from her home into the city were always overcrowded. People were packed in like sardines. Tara hated taking the bus, it tended to send her empathetic abilities into overdrive. She could feel every emotion, thoughts, motivations from every single person invading her space. Most of the time she'd end up suffering from a severe headache and become nauseous, but today Tara didn't mind taking the bus, nothing could spoil her happy mood.

Rhonda stood outside the law firm smoking a cigarette when Tara got off the bus. Her eyes widen and she burst out laughing as Tara walked to her.

"I can't believe what I just saw. What the hell are you doing riding a bus? I thought you hated them!"

"I do, but I had an accident with my bike. It's beyond fixing," Tara said.

"I knew you were gonna tear that bike up sooner or later. What happen? Did someone run over it with a car?"

"You can say that," Tara said. She quickly changed the conversation. The memory of her bike still terrified her even though the person had apologized and given her money. "What are you doing out here, isn't it time to go in?"