Chapter 3

(unedited)

Bikers, Chains and Bad Boys: Chapter 3

        Bang!

        My head swivelled over to where Paul stood, staring down at something on the bench beside him with a scowl on his face. It's been three weeks and he's acted this way since I started working here.

        "After a while, you get used to the loud, random noises he makes." Jeb said beside me. I smiled at him and shrugged.

        "Doesn't bother me."

        He lifted an eyebrow at me. Another bang, much louder than the first, came from Paul's direction.

        "Paul! Calm your shit! You're pissin' me off!" Andy shouted from his office. I snickered a little and Paul turned to glare at me.

        Static started coming from a corner of the room. I turned to see that guy, Tyson, changing the channels on an old, beat up radio. When nothing came in, he left out a side door and came back with a handful of CDs.

        After sliding the first one in, he gradually turned the volume up until it reached a low roar. Loud rock music floated around the shop and he went back to what he was working on before.

        At least I know this song, I thought as I began to sing the words under my breath. I guess Dustin really liked it, too, because he began to belt out the lyrics as he worked.

        "You know nothing about me; keep opinions to yourself!"

        Then, Corey jumped in with him, belting out the lyrics just as loud. "No more complications; everything's just swell!"

        I turned to look at Jeb, quirking an eyebrow at him. A cute, lopsided smile spread across his face as he shrugged at me. Then, he joined in as well. "There's nothing more to tell!"

        I started off a little louder than before, but you could still barely hear me.

        Then, Tyson jumped in, louder than everyone else. "Ooohh, I just want to be alone-" The smile on my face spread from ear to ear. When the chorus started, everyone was singing as loud as they could.

        "WHEN I GET WEAK, OR I'M TIRED AND AFRAID!" A laugh bubbled out of me. "WHEN I SLEEP, ALL MY DREAMS TURN OUT THE SAME!"

        And that's how the rest of the day went, song after song.

        As the day was winding down to a close, Andy emerged from his office to make an announcement.

        "Don't forget that you're all invited to the barbeque tomorrow." He said. "And I expect every single one of you drunk by the end of the night." He pointedly looked at everyone, pointing at each of our faces, then returned to his office.

        "Uhh..." I looked back at Jeb, who was still working on the fuel injection system we'd been busting our asses to finish for the last two hours. Once again, he shrugged at me with a smile.

        "Alrighty, then."

        Before I left for the day, I gave Jeb my phone number so he could text me the address the barbeque was taking place at.

        When I finally made my way home, Dad was up and dressed for work, even though it was only about five. My eyebrows scrunched together when I saw the bag that was packed on the floor beside his feet.